Pages 54 - 61

Story 2: うなぎ病院 実験

Start Date: 22nd February
Last Week: Story 1
Next Week: Case part 2

Doggy Detectives 2

わんわん探偵団 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

This is my first Japanese book. Its slow and I get about half of it, but it is very enjoyable. Thanks for all the help so far.
I do find it hard to work out who is doing things to whom. For example
page 56 The sentence beginning おれ.
From looking things up I think it means Spritz is biting (Edward ?) with all his strength, but it seems unlikely. Is there a way to know the subject of the sentence?

3 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to read the chapter yet, but the picture seems to suggest that Spitz does indeed chomp down lol

1 Like

Hi Linda ! I noticed that you’re level 6, just curious about how you’re feeling with your reading skills so far, I’d like to buy some jp beginner books in the near future (:

Well I am looking up practically everything, and having to guess a lot. Jisho often has several meanings for every word and of course it is hard to tell where the words start and end. But it is great having other people asking questions and giving answers as you are reading along. I wouldn’t have attempted it without the stimulus and support of the group. I just do one page per day- and some of them are really short. For me the satisfaction of reading something real outweighs the pain of doing it. And it is definitely a little bit less baffling now that I have done a few pages. At the absolute beginner level the books have very few kanji- and they have hiragana above them. So your reading ability will depend on your wider knowledge of Japanese vocabulary and grammar, rather than kanji.

2 Likes

Are you aware that most of the vocab has been sorted for us in the Google Doc at the top of this thread - it will save you a lot of time and mental effort :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

And you can use ichi.moe for this :slight_smile: It’s a lifesaver when you just start reading.

2 Likes

I beg your pardon - I’ve just seen that this week’s list hasn’t been filled in yet!
:astonished:

1 Like

Very interesting ! Thank you for letting me know (: - Hope I can become a powerful level 6 such as yourself soon !

As someone who just hit level 32, I can say that I JUST learned the kanji in order to read the title わんわん探偵団。

Joking aside, I count the book clubs as almost completely independent to WK level. Knowing more kanji/vocab does make things a bit easier to go faster (less looking things up), but won’t help with comprehension other than knowing the meaning of the parts.

The book club really helped me value the importance of learning grammar and gives the motivation to learn it. Definitely don’t get discouraged, and you’ll be sure to start picking up speed as we go.

4 Likes

Page 56

Japanese sentences are often ‘subjectless’ (there is of course a subject, but it is not explicitly stated), so it may be more helpful to look for clues to find the object, and in this sentence it is marked by に.

2 Likes

Thanks but it was the later sentence beginning with おれ I was having problems with. It doesnt have に

The sentence is:

おれも思いきりかみついてやった。

おれ - I
も - also/too
思いきり - with all one’s strength
かみついてやった - bit

The topic is おれ, but the particle は has been replaced by も. This changes the sentence from “I bit with all my strength” to “I also bit with all my strength”

The sentence doesn’t explicitly state what he bit, this is implied from the context (and the picture), as well as the も (Spitz is also doing the same thing, i.e. the dog bit him and now he’s biting the dog).

1 Like

Have broken the rules and read ahead! Filled in next week’s vocab at the same time.

4 Likes

I got to page 58 and I am a little overwhelmed by the grammar and particles in this sentences. Can anyone help me make heads or tails of it?

なにもしなくても、どんな犬でもなにかの役には、たつのよ。

wild guess: I’m guessing she is saying that a dog is going to act out if it doesn’t have a job or feel needed?

I also struggled with the last sentence on page 61:
犬とのつきあいは、なんでもやさしくすればいいというものではないのだ

犬とのつきあいは - as for associating with your dog
なんでもやさしくすればいいというもの - to say, its good to be nice with everything
ではないのだ -explaining previous quote isn’t true

overall take: To have a good relationship with your dog, its not correct to just be nice all the time.

1 Like

Just before, Spitz was saying that she couldn’t borrow him to play with him, cause he needed to be trained. So this is her response.

なにもしなくても - even if they’re not doing anything
どんな犬でも - any dog (more literally, ‘whichever dog it is’)
なにかの役には、たつのよ - is useful in some way

So I think she means ‘it’s not like you need to train him that bad, dogs are fine just as they are!’

I’d break it up like:

[ なんでもやさしくすればいい ] というものではないのだ - it’s not a [however nice you are is fine] sort of thing.

So I think という couples a sentence to a noun.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong about this one. It’s more ‘instinct’ than grammar on my part.

2 Likes

Thanks alot for your take on this. For the first quote, you did a great job of breaking it down to be understood. I think i was overwhelmed by the number of もs in a sentence and my brain turned off.

For the 2nd quote, I think either way to break it up is fine depending on how your brain works. We got to similar results (although your translation is definitely a bit more natural).

The one area where our translations differ is:

My translation was more “You shouldn’t be only nice for everything.” , implying that you shouldn’t spoil the dog.

Your translation “its not a however nice you are is fine” is more saying that being nice isn’t the topic at hand and implying you can be nice and still do other things.

Based on the context, the first translation is resounding alot more with me. since we know Edward is spoiled and Spits just bit him in anger earlier on so he probably isn’t implying that you can train him while still being nice.

1 Like

It’s funny to see your take on my literal English translation, cause I took the same meaning from the original Japanese as you did, but somehow when I put it in English it gave off a different interpretation to you.

The way I interpreted the Japanese is: it’s not a case of ‘however nice you are is fine’ ➝ rather, there is a limit to how nice you should be ➝ don’t spoil the dog.

2 Likes