Pages 88 - 97

Story 3: かっぱかっぱらった 実験

Start Date: 29th March
Last Week: Story 2
Next Week: Case Part 2

Doggy Detectives 2

わんわん探偵団 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked

• Join the conversation - it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes
I must say, I've really outdone myself with this one. Only ten pages in, and I know who the culprit is.

Screenshot_20210401_185716

3 Likes

I like the “saucy” theme of the character names in this chapter. Although I wasn’t familiar with the dish the main character is named after, “Spaghetti alle vongole”.

Page 94 - the sign is for “Bar Boruyo” (written in English characters). I’m not sure where this name comes from, but perhaps a pun on the word ぼる - meaning “to ask a high price; to overcharge​”.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, I typed カル into my browser’s address bar, and it suggested カルボナーラ. Are there that few katakana words that begin with カル, or is カルボナーラ just really popular? (When it comes to pasta, if it wasn’t enjoyed by two dogs in a Disney animated movie, I’m not familiar with it.)

Sounds about right to me. I wonder if it’s something the author came up with, or something the artist decided on.

Coincidentally, I learned 居酒屋 from WaniKani just days before starting this chapter.

3 Likes

page 93

こでカルボナーラさんが、びっくりした顔で見ていた。

I have no idea what こで is…? Does anyone know?

1 Like

After giving this careful analysis, I’ve concluded that this is missing the character そ (or maybe こ?)

Here is my supporting evidence:

2 Likes

Aaaah, thank you!