Does Writing Help?

So you’re saying you feel since you learned how to write the Kanji, now that you have switched to not writing it at all you feel like you can’t remember the Kanji as easily? Or it doesn’t feel like something you have learned since you can’t recall the stroke order/ how to write it?

Are you learning vocab outside of WaniKani? You’ll have to suplement your vocab eventually.
You could always spend some time on Kana only vocab or vocab from manga/books like よつばと!

Theres also https://floflo.moe/ and Kitsun.io

Yes, I’m using Kitsun right now and I’m following Genki – so I learn the vocab in Genki and then start the grammar.

A particular kanji doesn’t feel familiar due to me being unable to recall the stroke order.

You know, to remember kanji, especially the problematic one, I need to have a story around it. Some history. I don’t know how to put it. You need to spend time with it, learn its origins, its meanings, use it several times, see it in some example sentences, compare it with synonyms. Knowing how to write it is one more step towards being friendly with it.

Yeah I noticed the weaker the mnemonic the harder it is for me to remember, that’s why I was thinking about incorporating writing in that way I spend more time on it while using the mnemonic while writing so I can associate it better with that Kanji.

I know this is more about handwriting but do not underestimate or forget about writing sentence by hand or otherwise. I make a point of writing social media posts in Japanese (Instagram posts about sake mainly) and this helps reinforce vocab, kanji and grammar. I think it’s a good habit to get into, it doesn’t really matter if anyone is reading them.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m planning on doing that as I get a little bit higher up. I’m gonna use the grammar I learn to help me write things. I also figured it would be beneficial to think in Japanese as well (picturing the Kanji/kana too) since I’m not surrounded by an environment that promotes using Japanese. I’ll also incorporate audio later on once I know more vocab too.

1 Like

I think writing some kanji in the beginning of your studies will help build your understanding of the different shapes and patterns. But unless you really want to be able to write kanji by hand, I would suggest focusing on reading. That way you can learn many more kanji much faster, and you can still write them on your computer/smartphone.

1 Like

I don’t really have any fixed pace, but I do want to learn pretty fast, or at least something optimized enough to be able to memorise everything. I’ll try your method when I subscribe to see if it fits my needs.

A lot of people use this method because that way you can go through a lot faster. It makes sense to learn the Kanji and then learn vocab… rather than all the vocab at once then moving on. But, we all learn differently so it’s how it feels to you.

1 Like

I massively support this, I’ve actually been handwriting all items from my first day of wanikani until now, and keep them in a book.

Now granted, i don’t pay any attention to stroke order as I don’t really intend on ever needing to properly handwrite Japanese and I’m pretty messy but it’s helped my accuracy massively (average over 95% correct reviews).

It makes lessons a little longer but i feel like it formalises wanikani into a study process, plus it’s cool to look at a physical version of what you’ve leant - i’ve almost filled a 128 page notebook at this point

1 Like

Thank you for that idea, I was just going to write on a blank piece of paper, but come to think of it, it would be nice to see how much I have written. Like I said I have over 4 hours a day to study, so I don’t think it’ll slow me down. Either way it seems like people who do it are able to remember it a bit better so I’m gonna go with it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.