Does Wanikani listen to feedback

At level 4 they’d even still give you a refund in all likelihood.

Just to clarify about “disgraceful” I am not suggesting they are rude, it is just there is no leeway for mistakes on their part or the systems part, namely an incorrect result due to entering a correct translation for a word that they failed to recognise until I have to go through and manually enter the synonyms or find that they have added them as synonyms after. Their outright refusal to reset the scores based in clear mistakes on their part is what I consider totally disgraceful and I feel it was my right to say that considering it is a paid subscription. The system only allows typos based in English translations not Japanese input. Example Seattle City which is in the course when I typed it in I typed シアトル市n and made a type like that by hitting another key before hitting enter and was scored wrong. That has happened on a few occasions on the iPhone app as well. It was a simple request to have the incorrect answers removed but they outright refused. They suggested a “undo” button but claimed it would be abused so they are not interested.

Now the system is not perfect and they claim to want to emphasise in learning and not cheating. My thoughts on that are that it is not helping by having simple words delay the entire course by a day or more and prevent access to harder words all because of a simple typo. It should be in the system to allow users to undo incorrect answers even if they have to go over them again and again just to prove they know them. By dwelling on the simple things that people know off by heart it is taking the attention off the harder things which are important.

Yes I am N5 certified, the test I think is hard in some ways but easy in others. Less than 50% of people that take the N5 test actually pass it. I believe I am good vocab and grammar wise for N3 however I need to learn more kanji in order to attain that. It is my intention to move up the JLPT ladder from N5 to N4 this July and N3 in December this year. Even in their tests you are allowed an eraser to erase an incorrect answer if you fill in the wrong multiple choice answer and you notice it. Unfortunately wanikani does not have the undo function which is the frustrating part.

Their system does give you a reminder if you attempt an on and kun reading mistake, I feel that the system should be at least adjusted to make you check your answer twice before hitting submit.

If I really wanted to cheat then I would just have multiple browser windows open, their system cannot combat that, yet they are more interested in penalising the people who make innocent mistakes opposed to combat cheating. If people want to cheat then they will cheat and they will use the above scripts and have other web browser windows open. All this outright refusal to correct their mistakes or have an undo button for typos is only penalising the serious people and the honest people. The cheaters are probably getting through with multiple windows open and with dictionaries beside them.

Each time you learn a word, get ready to see a list of 20 iterations of all possible English translations.

5 Likes

I do not know what override script or double check script is and do not know how to use such things. The script above I am not sure even how to use that. I am good with computers but not that good.

As I said wanikani in their wisdom cannot stop people cheating by opening multi browser windows or using scripts to change things, but they can penalise innocent people who did not make mistakes and were subject to system failures their by halting the progress of being fed new lessons.

Use Allicrab or Tsurukame app

1 Like

You should really install one or two scripts… It would improve your experience of Wanikani and help you, which is the main point here.

Have your read this thread? It helps a lot.

1 Like

From all the scripts the only one I would advise not to use is the double check one.

You make a mistake ? No big deal it’s fine nobody cares about your accuracy. Making a mistake means you will see the word one more time… so you give yourself more chance to remember it correctly. What was a mistake becomes a bonus :smiley:

Even if you are super unlucky and the mistakes you made gets you to level up two days later than expected… Enjoys those two days of freedom :smiley:

1 Like

That’s not a comparable example. WaniKani has an “eraser” if you make a mistake and notice it too; it’s called the backspace key. But you’re submitting your answer, which is different.

The comparable example is you make a mistake on the JLPT because you were rushing and didn’t check your answer. Then you hand in the test, and when you get the results you call the test administrators because you meant to fill in a different bubble. Guess what, they’re not going to ignore your mistakes either.

15 Likes

Errors on vocabulary items do not delay new material. Theoretically, you could get every vocabulary item wrong always, and still reach level 60 in a little under a year.

3 Likes

They have built a system which maximizes learning potential.

I can’t speak for you, but I have to make mistakes and suffer some sort of consequence to learn effectively. That horrific red background, then down arrow helps me associate my wrong answer with wrongness. Next time that radical/kanji/vocab comes around I remember the feeling of getting it wrong, and that motivates me to sit and try to recall the correct answer. It is difficult, and doesn’t always feel rewarding, but I wouldn’t change it for anything. I hope they never give mulligans. It would do more harm than good.

2 Likes

Isn’t this kinda like asking for an easy mode on Sekiro…

I’m all okay for accessibility though!

“but they can penalise innocent people who did not make mistakes” … you know, that sounds pretty dramatic. You make a typo = a mistake, own up to it. In a test, a typo would be a mistake nevertheless, whether done intentionally or not. It doesn’t matter, a mistake is a mistake.

I have the script to ignore errors on my PC installed and sometimes I use it. But still, if I make a typo, I made it, a mistake. If I make a typo on my iphone where I do not have the script installed, then, yes, I made the mistake, I owe it, I see the item again in a few hours . No big deal.

Kind of pushing the fault of your mistake on someone else, that bugs me. And that how your complain sounds to me.

As for progress, like already said, not every typo will throw you back. The only time you really need to be careful and concentrate and not make mistake, is when you learn your radicals at the beginning of your new level, and then after you guru’d your radicals, the rest of the kanjis to guru. Because, that what determines your progress. All the - for leveling not essential - other Kanjis* and vocabs do not really matter for progressing through the system with good speed.

• Well, the Kanji do matter, but you can guru them throughout the level and if you make a mistake with them, they will not delay new levels.
10 Likes

I’d bet that the vast majority of people would hate such a feature. If you want to check your answer twice before hitting submit, then it’s on you. Something that forces you to go, Are you sure you want to submit and Are you really sure you want to submit throughout hundreds of reviews would just make people rage quit.

In general, WaniKani is a long-term commitment - about a year at the very least. Typos aren’t going to make a massive difference in the longrun. So slow down, add synonyms, check your submissions, and remember that WK is a very small team where people are doing their best on a daily basis to make this a great site for kanji learning. Even if you don’t always agree with their decisions.

18 Likes

I love how their refusal to manually erase your every little mistake just because you don’t want to bother learning how to use scripts is portrayed as ‘disgraceful’.

13 Likes

I severely detest when customer’s use this phrase. You paid for the service you’re getting, you’re not entitled every bit of your feedback to be acted upon. As long as the service remains maintained and functional so you can use it, then Wanikani is fulfilling it’s obligation to you.

The members do nowhere near ‘All the programming and work’. There’s a lot that goes into the site that the paying members do not do. I use the service as vanilla, I don’t use a single user script, and the service works brilliantly for me.
The fact that there’s such a good community to talk to and discuss is a bonus that Wanikani is facilitating, and the fact that scripts are so well supported should be applauded, not met with complaints.

You should expect to pay much more if you want Wanikani to hire more developers to start developing extra features which were not including in the package you’ve paid for.

Just another example that you can’t please everyone. Wanikani offers a brilliant service that is affordable and has great tools and support for community developed tools and yet you get the complaints that not enough is done.

There are many resources that refuse to allow users access to their API to develop the tools we are lucky to have.

13 Likes

The reality is, the service does not always remain maintained. All software has bugs, and if you as a paying customer reports a bug, even bugs that don’t prevent you from using the service, the least they could do is response with indication whether this bug is going to be fixed soon or later. Not responding to bug reports or having a section called “Bugs & Errors” in the forum but expecting us to send them an email instead is not acceptable. I don’t care if you detest it or not, good customer service should not be taken for granted.

1 Like

I mean, you’re here to learn. You’re using the word punished a lot when talking about failing a review but that’s not quite the purpose. If anything this gives you a chance to learn some different translations for vocabulary that you’ve already seen. It’s an educational tool, an extra vocab review only takes a few seconds, and you only benefit from it.

I’m not trying to be rude I understand its frustrating when you knew something and a typo screws up your reviews, but I know in my experience I tend to benefit more from shrugging it off and knowing that since the item will come back sooner in my reviews that just means I get more practice !

3 Likes

There’s a difference between fixing a bug (which is not the case here at all) and expecting someone to go to the database and reset an item because you were careless and didn’t pay attention.

And you’re right, good customer service should not be taken for granted, but that’s what you’re doing here. They person who started this discussion is being super unreasonable and keeps complaining instead of taking one of the many suggestions that would solve his problem in the future.

From what I’ve heard, the devs here are very responsive when you email them about bugs. I haven’t have to do that yet because I haven’t experienced any. So for me, customer service has been great.

2 Likes

But that’s exactly my point. Why do we have to write an email? Why can’t we just post a thread in the “Bugs & Errors” section of the forum? It seems that nobody is monitoring that section. They could even write a simple IFTTT script to connect all threads and posts in that section to a ticketing system.

1 Like

I think they deliberately not use the forums, it is easier to keep control over a feedback conversation that having other people chime in all the time. If there was a “I want an undo button” thread many people would want one, but WK just doesn’t have one and will never have one for “ideological reasons”. What good would be 3000 post whine-thread that is bound to not change anything at all despite agonizing lots of people?

Another thing would be a “bug” no one cares about but let’s say three people can’t stop bitching about it, saying how disgraceful it is and how they will tell anybody what mental scars they got from WK … it’s better to keep that confined instead of putting it on the grand stage, with employees spinning because they need to keep part in a conservation.

What WK should do is clearly say that the bugs and errors section isn’t managed and other users will help you sort out whether it is really an error, but only emails are used for actual reporting.