Does this look correct?

I friend bought something from Amazon and gave me this because he knows I’m studying Japanese.
I get what it tries to say, but it looks very weird. I have the feeling it’s been translated by Google or something. Or maybe it’s totally fine :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

I don’t think google translate is capable of producing humble Japanese of this sort, are you familiar with 謙譲語 (humble language)? Because if you’re not, that might be why it looks strange to you. I don’t have the expertise to say if this is native Japanese or not, but it’s definitely not google translate.

Thanks! I’m definitely not used to humble japanese… so that might be it…

I’m kind of familiar with humble Japanese, but this Verb[て]おります is totally new to me

It’s used by businesses whenever they communicate to their customers, so it can be useful to learn! It’s also where certain phrases you may have heard come from, like いらっしゃいませ when you enter a store.

おります is used a lot in humble language, personally that’s the first thing I think of when I think of humble language, well aside from 頂く I suppose. It means that you do something in advance in order to prepare for something, but it’s used in humble language to make everything sound nicer like “We’ve already done this for you” or “we have this prepared for you.”

4 Likes

Oh, I know, it’s just I am 0 used to it, but I can identify some phrases :stuck_out_tongue:

I also agree that I’d be surprised if google translate were able to produce this level of humble Japanese. I don’t even know what the possible input would be since it seems so specific to Japanese itself…

Like maybe if it could judge the tone of the text as a whole and adapt to it…? :thinking:

Actually I think おります (おる) is simply the humble form of います (いる) , so ています (regular speech) = ております (humble speech). => 居る - Jisho.org

Therefore it has nothing to do with ておきます, which comes from おく, and means “to do something in advance for the future”. => Other uses of the te-form – Learn Japanese

8 Likes

Looks totally fine. It just uses an extreme humble form as others said, which is very common for business emails and everything customer facing.

6 Likes

That’s interesting! I think I may have read about that at some point, but I must’ve forgotten. That does make a bit more sense. I’m so used to seeing it that I didn’t think too much on it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.