Does anyone use a Memory Palace or Memory Room? This is my guide on how to do it

@d-hermit Oh that’s a very powerful skill you have, to be able to memorise based on pure concept - nothing seems to stick unless it visually (mind’s eye) can be replayed for me - along with emotional response

2 Likes

Surely if you picture a kabuki stage, it’ll take you three hours to remember anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@d-hermit I think in some ways it’s a mechanism to try and eliminate location adversely - as in by letting objects and characters naturally appear where they have become habitually placed (in my mind) then I don’t take that extra time to conjure up the object or character that I normally would do - they’re sort of just there

2 Likes

@Belthazar Love that! :laughing: New project: Wanikani, the Kabuki play - the Shogun is haunted by spirits, his turkeys and geoducks wielding their blades and tantos must rush to save him, but instead they lasso the spirits away using thread and a tsunami
:sweat_smile: End of chapter 1

4 Likes

@cloudsoft TBH when I began building the room, the radicals had become so frequent already through mnemonics and SRS that they simply needed a home in the room - for larger things like Tokyo, yes I imagine certain areas - there’s always around 4 currently: scramble crossing, Sensouji temple, Camera town and the Gundam at Odaiba - it depends on the mnemonic which one gets used.

What does stay the same though is how the ‘Outside’ of the window is framed - it’s a wooden rectangular window, the sky tends to be cloudy and the sun is usually quite hazy, shining through the cloud - there’s always a skyscraper to the right, a road in the centre and dependant upon the mnemonic, a person walking on the left or for one or two, a bowling ball (makes sense in those mnemonics :sweat_smile:)

I think the key is the room stays permanent, but the objects and scenery within play out as required - it sounds murky and difficult, but there are so many undefinables I’d really like to be able to vocalise somehow! Explaining it here has really helped… erm explain it better than I thought I could actually!

2 Likes

I see. I actually am a new user of the Memory Palace method. It works now for simple Kanji and Radicals but I doubt I will be able to use it for all of the remaining Kanji. Still discovering that part. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aphantasia: The proposed name for a condition involving an inability to visualize imagery.

I can picture things, but I just wanted to share that some people physically can’t.

(Irrelevant info below)
(A while ago) My brother kept claiming he “can’t picture things” and he “doesn’t dream” and after a long argument of me telling him “everyone can/does”, I did some research and discovered that he could be telling the truth.

1 Like

I tried the memory palace early on in WK but I couldn’t keep up. Personally there just ended up being too much stuff but, admittedly, it’s not a mnemonic device that I use normally.

Hopefully it works out for you in the long term. :smiley::+1:

That’s only one of the aspects of cognition that is only recently being studied.

A similar one would be the inner monologue. As with aphantasia, there’s a spectrum of how often you have an inner monologue if at all.

1 Like

I wonder if they are inversely correlated. I think to myself using words and subvocalize when reading, but I have trouble visualizing. Maybe people who are better at visualizing don’t need words as much.

1 Like

I can’t picture anything at all in my mind. I do dream in color though, but I rarely remember dreams. I have a constant inner monologue, I’m basically talking to myself all the time. Aren’t you thinking all the time? How do you think if it’s not in words that you tell yourself?

To stay on topic: I tried the memory palace several times before, but I just forget where I place things. I don’t think I’m compatible with the technique :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard of people without inner monologue’s, but never met anyone with the condition.

I might see if I can try this method, but I also have trouble visualizing things.

I can sometimes get close to visualizing if it’s simple shapes or things I can graph or plan out, for instance a parabola, or a rectangle. But I cannot close my eyes and picture my mother’s face. Not even if I just saw her a minute ago.

Interestingly, I took some tests when I was younger and I am actually very good at what they call “spacial reasoning” or “spacial intelligence.” Things like being able to recognize a 3D-model when it is rotated 90 degrees, or being good at understanding LEGO set building instructions.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with your idea of a memory room, that’s good if that works for you.

However, a “Memory Palace” is normally a different thing for memorising things in sequence. E.g. memorise the periodic table in atomic order by going around a room in your mind past mneumonics for each element. Kanji aren’t ordered in that way, so it’s not the same technique.

Here’s more info if you’re interested: https://artofmemory.com/wiki/How_to_Build_a_Memory_Palace

3 Likes

Lol, it says you last posted “2 years ago”! Where did you go?

1 Like

Me? I don’t post in the forums often :sweat_smile:

Interesting topic! I am very visual, and my brain also talks to me all the time, inner conversations. I read a book and can visualize all of it as I read, even to the point that I can tell which side of a page something was on. Yet, in real life, I don’t notice details at all. Weird! I wish someone could explain that.

2 Likes

You forgot to click “reply”, so it didn’t notify me you responded! :pensive:
Anyways, that’s too bad, the more the merrier!

Many years ago a trick I learned is you can use preexisting places to build your journey and that they don’t even need to be real. I played games like DOOM1 & 2 (90’s) so much that I know every level off by heart and since they are mostly linear levels its great for placing mnemonic journeys.

Reuse those game levels, not a waste of time after all lol

2 Likes

If someone wants to become more of a visual thinker - that’s fine of course.

But if the point is to make it easier to memorise kanji then I think people are better off playing their existing strengths. There are lots of theories of learning style out there Kobl, Flemming etc - across most of them there’s general agreement that people tend to prefer a specific mode of learning over others. There’s loads of different theories about what those modes are, but most tend to break down into something like:
1.visual
2. sound/pattern
3. reading/writing
4. movement.

People who aren’t visual or spatial probably won’t get much from a memory palace, but they might benefit from something that plays on their strongest learning style - making up a little jingle, writing messages for themselves and displaying them around the house to read, matching kanji or readings to physical movements etc.

1 Like