Does 安売り have to use する?

when you use it as a verb, do you have to add する or can you change it to 安売る and conjugate it accordingly from there?
doesnt that mean that 泳ぎする makes sense (just an example)? to me it seems useless when compared to 泳ぐ

1 Like

I think there is a notable difference between the regular conjugation and the する compounds. Depending on the context you can have a 安売りをする structure, not necessarily 安売りする. Same with 泳ぎ.

From what I understand, it’s a similar situation as with 勉強する and 勉強をする:
日本語を勉強する
vs
日本語の勉強をする

3 Likes

安売る is not a word, so no you can’t use that. You could perhaps say 安く売る = “to sell cheaply”. And there’s probably plenty of other ways you could rephrase it to get a similar meaning.

Similarly, 泳ぎ cannot take する according to the dictionary I checked, so you cannot say 泳ぎする either. (At least not directly, see what @WeebPotato said.)

In general, I’d recommend looking up the parts of speech for a word so you know what you can use.

7 Likes

する verbification can only be taken by certain nouns, and pretty much every dictionary will point them out. Look up the word if you are unsure.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.