Do you have any fun top-down mnemonics?

After running into some ‘old friends’ in my review queue, I thought it might be interesting to post and see if other people had fun top-down mnemonics.

By top-down I mean instances where for some reason or another you already know the more ‘advanced’ word/phrase in Japanese, and use it to help remember meanings/readings of its components. Here are some of my examples

My favorite example - 未来日記 - Mirai Nikki - helped me with readings/meanings for 未, 来, 日, 記, 未来, and 日記.

顔を上げて - Kao wo agete - lit. raise your face - this one has come up quite a few times this season, helps me remember agaru vs ageru.

勝負 - shoubu - match - I have trouble with this reading of these kanji (especially 負), so remembering a match is win/loss lets me remember “bu”

2 Likes

Heh, wouldn’t work for me :sweat_smile: If I saw a word with 記 in it, I would probably spend some time trying to remember from which anime title this comes from :laughing: So the usual way for me is to just use radical mnemonics and then go “woah so that’s why mirai nikki is mirai nikki”

Yeah, quite a few of my personal mnemonics are “oh, that kanji appears in [word I already know]”.

One I encountered comparatively recently is 覇, which is taught in level 52, but only comes with some fairly obscure vocabulary. Turns out it’s also in 那覇なは, the capital of Okinawa.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.