Do you cry doing your reviews?

Because I certainly do. Everytime something that I brought all the way to guru 2 magically slips out of my head long enough to fall back down to apprentice 1, tears start coming up, and I feel broken and miserable.

It happens a lot lately. Nearly 5 months and I know the torture has only started.

16 Likes

Never.

5 Likes

Yes, but it doesnā€™t really count because I cry for everything.

8 Likes

I cried before. Now I just accept my fate :sparkles:

4 Likes

Only if at the same time I listen to the CLANNAD soundtrack.
xy6pdmE

9 Likes

I mean this should be simple, just remembering some funny symbols and what they mean, how hard can it be?

Iā€™ve failed ā€œAbsent from schoolā€ again today, Iā€™ve done this word 88 times now, I know the meaning, i know the reading, but I only notice that it is that damned word once iā€™ve pressed enter.

Itā€™s funny because everytime I push a word to enlightened, I feel almost relieved, but iā€™m pretty sure 99% of them will come back and Iā€™ll drop them back down to apprentice 1 instead of burning them like a normal personā€¦

You might think that I donā€™t cry anymore since Iā€™m level 60ā€¦ Youā€™d think itā€™s all over after level 60, but donā€™t let yourself get fooled. Itā€™s all a lieā€¦

14 Likes

To remember the words better, you have to get yourself out into the wild and start trying to read things written for natives. Donā€™t wait to finish wanikani before you try. Get yourself a kids book written for a 3-year old, the kind with all kana and just animal kanji. Read it. Then get another. Read it too. Once you get comfortable with the grammar and vocab in books oriented for 3 year olds, get some for four year olds. Read them until you feel comfortable, then move on.

To tell you the truth, Wanikani is most effective for people who come in already knowing the vocab but just not knowing the kanji.

4 Likes

Itā€™s just weird that I remember lvl 1 so well and everything else is a mud of uncertainty.

Sidenote, has anyone made an addon that tells you youā€™re making too many mistakes and to go sleep instead of wasting your time?

4 Likes

Did you mean when you listen to ā€œIchiban no Takaramonoā€ from Angel Beats?

1 Like

No tears, but I have been known to let slip a ā€˜Japanese has no redeeming features as a languageā€™ or two whenever i get stumped by some obscure alternative reading for a kanji.

I use the counter in the top right as an indicator. If Iā€™m below 95% on there (about 90% in terms of words), itā€™s time to slow down and do better. If Iā€™m under 90% (happens rarely, at that point youā€™re looking at 80% word accuracy) then it means itā€™s time to stop because Iā€™ve likely been tilted off the face of the planet at that point.

I donā€™t think itā€™s just me, but Clannad has plenty if not more heart breaking scenes, not including the visual novel.

1 Like

Is this not normal for people to feel every night?

2 Likes

Naw. Iā€™m much too angry during reviewsā€¦

1 Like

90% @reichter Man thatā€™s pretty high by my standards. 75% is when I start telling myself to focus better orā€¦ idk focus better again. Itā€™s hard to say ā€œquit it and do something else for an hour,ā€ because I donā€™t have that sort of time. The time Iā€™ve got for Wanikani is the time Iā€™ve got. Iā€™d say donā€™t sweat it if youā€™re averaging over 80%. Cheat if you need to for passing a level but let yourself make mistakes as you go to really figure out whatā€™s not sticking.

Why are we still hereā€¦ just to suffer?

1 Like

Yes. Over that elusive vocab from like level 6 that seems un-burnable even at level 60.

1 Like

No, but I sure @%^#$@#!!! a lot! :scream::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::joy:

Yeah, those level 6 vocabs. pff
Been there.

1 Like

Who wouldnā€™t want to cry at thisā€¦
ā€¦ and this is normal for meā€¦

But, still, the way I look at it is, if I get over 50% Iā€™m making progress, and I know a lot more kanji now than I did a few months ago.

2 Likes