Do You Cheat? How?

I use the ignore script on my phone, 99% of the time for genuine typos because typing on a phone is stupid. I also use the script that tells me if I’m meant to be entering on’yomi or kun’yomi for a kanji. I think that’s kind of it for stuff that directly affects my reviews?

In terms of lessons I just use WaniKani’s ordering so I go through the previous level’s vocab before I start getting into the radicals and kanji for the current level, and I use the user synonym/phonetic-semantic composition double-whammy to add logical extra meanings to some of the radicals.

Other than that, I have the leech script installed too but much like my critical items list I almost never actually check it.

1 Like

I am rich so I ask other people to do my reviews just so that can appear as a Japanese guy.

5 Likes

WaniKani Override is the best script. I use it so much :expressionless:

The ignore script for typos and on-kun for reviews and the reorder script for lessons (I make sure all the vocabulary is done first, then radicals/kanji).

1 Like

I don’t do anything electronic except use the preview screens of levels to come to copy into my Cheat Book. I have copied everything (I have over twenty pages full) onto some graph paper. The real helper I’ve learned is hearing it said audibly while I am looking at the characters in question (something I cannot cheat…yet).

I have been informed that having a self-made reference tool is totally cheating and defeats the process of WK (though, I still feel them working in tandem but what would I know about my learning <3)

I use that script that lets you make incorrect answers correct so that I can keyboard smash my way through the radicals. They serve no purpose to me since I don’t use mnemonics.

(And if I’m going to learn radicals I want to learn the proper names for them y’know.)

1 Like

I don’t use any cheating device, aside from manually checking the list when I know I know said kanji or vocab, but I try not to do that. I do find that Kaniwani has proved helpful in making certain vocab stick in my mind.

2 Likes

For everyone who is high level enough. Do radical mnemonics really helpful for kanji memorization?
I don’t read it at all. I think it is because I know some chinese radical so I don’t need to memorize it, yet…

1 Like

They are pretty useful for learning kanji you don’t know yet, sure. It helps ease the transition from “this is just a mess of shapes” to “I remember all the parts and locations within the kanji”

4 Likes

How I cheat:
I don’t use override.
My wk style uses a strategy that is like “fast and good enough”:
–Some people have 95% + accuracy. I don’t. I could, but it would require more time.

I do all lessons the same day that I get them.
A lot of people will probably think that this is blasphemy, but with each batch of lessons, I review all of them before the first 2 review sessions (the 3 hr and 8 hr ones). This usually occurs in the same day that I do the lessons. So, Day 1 of new stuff, I practice them until I know them.
–This is how I do it, and I’m fine with it.

Something I’ve caught myself doing sometimes recently which is not very cool:
I’ll often know the reading during a review session, and after correctly entering it, I will click on the information panel to verify that I know the meaning for when it comes around.
–I’ve been doing this with apprentice level items, and it probably just ends up kicking the ball down the road for things that I don’t know that well.

3 Likes

I cheat with override (I don’t really)
But sometimes I’m retarded, like 40 minutes ago I got 来年 and I wrote next, then proceeded to immediatly press enter, despite saying out loud next year.

I cheated ONCE, because of 里, it asked for the radical: the radical is “village”, and the kanji “home village”, guess what I wrote ? I don’t get why it’s not the same as the kanji, but yeah, I cheated anyway, I felt betrayed by the gods.

4 Likes

I also get caught on that home village soo often :joy: I don’t even think that counts as cheating.

2 Likes

I usually tell my wife that I had to stay late at work. Sometimes, to throw her off, I say that I got a flat tire or something.

10 Likes

I added it as a user synonym after posting this lol, never am I getting this one wrong again :stuck_out_tongue:

Smooth

Sorry, but I refuse to believe you have ever had a wife.

3 Likes

Why, because I’m such a catch that you can’t fathom there’s a human being that exists that’s worthy of my love? Well, you have a point, and you are right, I have never had a wife. I lied for the sake of comedy, so what, sue me. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sure, why not?

1 Like

I have, actually, once or twice. If I can’t remember the reading or meaning of a kanji and I’m doing the review session that determines whether I’ll level up, I may cheat and look one or two up for the sake of leveling. I’d rather unlock the new stuff as soon as I can and maybe struggle with one or two readings or meanings later.

(Please don’t sacrifice me to the Crabigator.)

2 Likes

You’ve already been sacrificed, you just don’t know it yet