Discovering my love for language through WK

As I understand it “learning by concepts” means, when you see 花, instead of thinking of the word “flower”, imagine an actual flower.
I might have misunderstood though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a bit complex to explain it.
Image the word “flower”. When you do, you know what a “flower” is and maybe you’re even imagining it in your mind (maybe like a flower drew by a child, a photo from a documentary, one that you have seen IRL, etc.).
This is what I mean with concept.
When you’re learning with meanings, you first have to translate it to an english world (or another language) and only then you remember the concept of the kanji.
So, to learn a kanji with concept, do the same thing that you did to learn the english word.
Doing so, it’ll be less heavier to remember the reading of the kanji and you could even study more kanjis in a day then before.

3 Likes

great explanation I’ll give it a go thank you!

2 Likes

Yeah I read through this again and I dont know why I put noun. Should have looked it over before posting ig lol

2 Likes

Yes I’m back dab dab dab

I have finally leveled-up! It took a while, but I was admiring all of the wonderful scenery along the way, the (はな), the (かい) yummy shellfish! now onto the 世界(せかい) of level 5!

My last review was not too bad:

But I do have a lot of lessons (70+ vocab lessons from level 4) as I am in the process of moving in real life so I have been focusing only on my reviews.

I have also started working on grammar! I can now put sentences together (yay.)

I can roughly use だ、です、も、の、が、は、でしょう、いい、か。which has made life a lot more fun when it comes to my Japanese studies and interacting on the forums.

I initially had the mindset to wait until level 10 as recommended by Koichi and Tofugu, however having started the basics now and even being able to string together sentences at level 4 / 5 I would say DO NOT WAIT! it’ll motivate you so much more to just jump straight into it. for those who are curious I’ve been using the Bunpro free trial for my grammar.

I have also been spending a lot of time in the POLL thread being a social durtle.

I have also been looking for podcasts to listen to to help with my Japanese input, but as I’m such a noob I’m not sure what to listen to! because most of them are probably too advanced for my potato-brain.

:durtle_noice:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.