Difficulty starting to ramp up

Yes, it does affect that kind of furigana. The amount of times there is any of that kind of furigana that ever adds anything to the text is quite rare in my experience. I didn’t start doing this until like 35+ books read, so I was comfortable enough knowing what I would be giving up.

The removal of furigana though isn’t actually a desire as much as it is a trade off. The primary reason I remove furigana actually is so that I can convert to plaintext and use yomichan without any issues. Furigana gives me trouble when converting file formats so it was more of a sacrifice I was more than willing to make.

I don’t know if I would say that furigana is an intentional part of the text, however. In a vast majority of cases, it’s really nothing more than a tool to make the actual text more accessible to readers, rather than a part of the text itself. The amount of times where it actually adds anything of value to the writing is very small in comparison, and again that quantity was small enough for me to be cool with tossing it.

1 Like

It does depend on the text. Jujutsu Kaisen for example, has Jump-style full furigana over everything, but it’s also very heavy on obscure kanji move names that often have stylish furigana names instead of something that corresponds directly, and then there’s whatever’s going on in this page from 文字渦…

furigana gore

But that trade-off reasoning makes total sense!

2 Likes

Jjk is a manga right? That stylistic choice has been something I feel like I see in manga more for sure, but I don’t read manga anymore for difficulty reasons. No idea what the hell is going on in that picture doe lol. Never seen anything like that and I prefer to keep it that way lol

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. I stay off social media when I’m studying… Whatever you think would help other WaniKani users in my situation. You could create a separate post and link me perhaps? Thank you so very much!

Yes, please. Either? Both? 有難(ありがた)(たの)みます。 :man_kneeling:

The WK community really blows my mind and gives me hope for humanity. You (Rrwrex) seem to be, like many around here, quite brilliant yet also humble and open to sharing. Bravo.

And despite my less-than-humble Excel skills, I would love to get my hands on your Level-Up graph; is that in a personal spreadsheet, or is it a browser script?

Lol! People have called me many things, but brilliant is a first! Thanks.

The level-up graph comes from rfindley’s excellent wkstats site. I’m traveling and on my phone or I’d provide the link, but if you search this community site you’ll find it quickly.

1 Like

https://www.wkstats.com/progress/level-up

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.