Difficulty Spikes?

I just got to level 4 at a fairly steady pace, and I was wondering if the difficulty ramps up at any levels? I would like to at least be mentally prepared if what I am doing now is a cake walk.

Many people say level 5 is hard. It depends how much knowledge you already have.

A few aspects get more difficult:

• Your workload will steadily increase until you start burning items in 6 months or so, though you can control your pace by waiting to do lessons when you start getting overloaded.
  • As you start learning more kanji, you’ll start to encounter many that look similar, and you will have to re-learn new details of the previously-learned kanji to distinguish them. (Your brain tends to want to learn only enough details to distinguish between ones you know, and the other details may be a bit fuzzy until you have to distinguish more similar ones)

Hey, no need to do all the lessons at once :slight_smile: Choose a good number of new lessons to do every day, so that the workload becomes more bearable. A lot of people choose between 5 to 10 new lessons every day. The most WK addicts go for higher numbers, but don’t worry much about them. They’re crazy :man_shrugging: Focus on finding your perfect number of new lessons per day. It’s important to put WK into a healthy routine as soon as possible :slight_smile: Habits always win.

Thanks for the advice! I started off only doing only a few lessons at once but I consider myself fairly good at memorization and was getting antsy from not having enough to do. If I feel overburdened I will definitely slow down but right now I think doing all of the lessons is a good pace for me.:nerd_face:

Yeah, don’t worry it will get harder :stuck_out_tongue: If you can do it, go ahead. Just know that the moment you feel that it’s too much, stopping is okay :slight_smile: There’s no obligation of doing all the reviews in a row. I only did it until lvl 5.

Looking at my level times, level 5 was indeed my longest level. I didn’t know about synonyms until around level 9 though, so a lot of my prior levels’ lengths (5 and 8 in particular) were due to suffering on the radicals with names that made no sense to me. I don’t remember the level itself or the workload being much more difficult than any around it though.

Going from 4 to 5 is a big jump. 115 lessons as soon as you level up. I’ve started doing 20-25 a day as the reviews are plentiful now. Also the amount of 人 that you see if painful at this point.

“If you know your on’yomi readings then you should know this vocab!”

No. I don’t. I really, really don’t. If it has a 人 in it then it’s guaranteed to be sent right back down to Apprentice. I have just found no way of remembering whether to use nin or jin.

I wouldn’t say the difficulty really spikes. But have you ever heard the story of Sisyphus?

The general rule of thumb is that にん is used for states that can change like jobs and that and じん is used for things that don’t, like nationality. That’s not to say there aren’t exceptions.

7 tends to be difficult as at level 7 people tend to start failing their master level reviews for level 5 kanji and have to redo them as guru, clogging up the workload (level 5 has to most kanji by far of any level in wani kani, it’s like the gen 1 starter pokemon of the kanji world). The same thing happens at 13 or so, when people start to fail enlightenment level ups and get shunted back to, again, guru level. People who don’t like to add their own synonyms will have trouble with the mid 20s levels, b/c a lot of words have circle back to the same meaning (15 or so words meaning either judgement, knowledge, or idea). And should you get that far, at I think either level 37 or 43 the radicals are few enough that you can level up in 4 days, which for people with a steady rhythm can really mess them up by jacking up the pace, but honestly that’s a problem you’re literally farther along than 90% of WK users anyways so don’t sweat it.