Difficult sentence for me. Please check my understand

The sentence

来月の節分に向けて「恵方巻」の販売が本格化するのを前に、農林水産省は、売れ残った「恵方巻」が大量に廃棄される問題が話題となったことなどから、コンビニエンスストアやスーパーの業界団体に対し、需要に見合った販売をするよう初めて文書で通知することになりました。

What I think it means…

Before the sales of 恵方巻 ramp up facing 節分 next month, the MAFF has decided to notify industry group of convenience stores and supermarkets for the first time in writing to sale to meet demand because of the problem of 恵方巻 that remain unsold are discarded in large quantities has become a topic of discussion.

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

節分 is the end of the Japanese winter season. That’s all I can help you with though.

1 Like

Is the uncertainty here over the grammar of the sentence, or over the meaning of 恵方巻 and 節分? Only, leaving those in kanji makes it look like you’re not sure what those are supposed to be, and your grammar looks fine…

Sorry! Although I understand 恵方巻 and 節分, I would not know how to go about translating them to English. Yeah, I was mainly concerned about the grammar more than anything! Thanks there!

Moving into Standard Japanese news articles…

Oh, a direct transliteration is fine. Ehomaki and Setsubun.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.