Different stylized writing, does this happen a lot?

Hello, please look at the stylization for the candy 飴 kanji.

When it’s differently stylized I can’t read it at all and have to relearn it. Does this happen often? Does anyone have some tricks to better retain their knowledge of the kanji, even with different fonts?

The top one is Chinese-style. You’ll want to make sure that you’re not using a Chinese font.

That said, some characters do have slightly different shapes when handwritten, so it’s worth learning to recognise them.

I believe in handwriting it is often written like the top version. Because 飴 is a non-Joyo Kanji it was not affected by the official typeset reforms, but modern fonts now sometimes resemble the handwritten style.

3 Likes

Yep - check out the font randomiser script:

You’ll also naturally get better at this once you start reading and being to encounter kanji in contexts outside of WaniKani.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is just a case of a character not getting reformed at the same time as most others

1 Like

Wait until @SaberX runs into this situation

1 Like

Well, I use Jitai, and Jitai writes the candy kanji like that in some fonts…!

I tried reading some kanji handwriting here and there on Netflix/Youtube, and that’s really difficult.

1 Like

Well, this problem comes from me already using Jitai. I was just wondering if some people have a trick to learn this, instead of just cramming the difference in writing!

It’s not Jitai that writes the kanji. Rather, it’s the decision of the font’s creator to show the kanji like that.

1 Like

On the grand scheme of things, that’s actually quite a minor change. Try out this thread for some typography examples to compare it to. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh I see, sorry - I misunderstood. In that case, no! I’m not very good with different fonts in WaniKani, but funnily enough I’ve never found myself missing a kanji while reading and thinking it was specifically because of the font.

I wouldn’t use Jitai in a way where you feel like you’re “re-learning” the kanji. Personally I just see it as a way to gain exposure broadly to the different ways things can be written. I try to do my reviews without rolling over the cursor to check, but if I don’t recognise it I’ll look at the default font before answering.

You could try reading a lot of manga. Manga frequently has different print fonts depending on character or situation, as well as handwritten text. That would certainly give you a lot more exposure to different fonts.

3 Likes