Different kanji reading than usual

When i first started wanikani small tsu “っ” &
Small “ゃ”, “ゅ” “ょ” in kanjis throw me off
Now i am used to them.
順 “じゅん” first time i see such a combination.
Is there any weirder ones? :sweat_smile:
Edit: changed the title

1 Like

??

I don’t understand why that’s weird…(and so what else would qualify)

Not sure they come up on WK, but there’s stuff like ディ /di/ for loanwords, and small vowels like ぁ and ぇ which get used in manga.

3 Likes

Just to clarify. I am not saying that is wrong or weird in term of reading. But i mean it my first encounter to a kanji which has something proceed “ゃ” or"ゅ" or “ょ” which isn’t う く つ
But ん
Sorry for misleading title.

1 Like

I remember thinking the same thing - “hey, this one’s different!”. I’ve had the same thing with a few others before that - only later to realize that it’s not different, just the first. You’ll get another じゅん on level 23.

I still do double takes with 3+ character kun readings, or with vocab that’s almost exclusively vowels
((いきお)い、お(いわ)い, etc)

1 Like

鳳凰を覆おうほうおうをおおおう。Let’s cover up the phoenix.

7 Likes

I guess I should be happy it doesn’t mean “Excuse me, what time is it?”

3 Likes

Yep, this is definitely one of those contrived sentences that will never come up in natural conversation.

2 Likes

Odd one for me is the Small ke like “三ヶ日”. I think I first noticed it in Japan for the station name 雑司が谷 written like 雑司ヶ谷。By the way, that station is on the 副都心線 (ふくとしんせん)。

6 Likes

I think you may find the following unusual as well:

曲 - きょく
極 - きょく・ごく
略 - りゃく
客 - きゃく

1 Like

TIL that I’ve been pronouncing the small ke wrong in my head this entire time :disappointed:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.