Difference between 君 and あなた?

Both mean “you”, correct? does the first one have more formal or polite nuance? Thanks!

We usually use nameさん, but あなた is more polite than きみ.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/people

1 Like

None of the words that mean “you” are formal or polite, but 君 is more casual and more familiar than あなた.

君 is less formal then あなた. Some people find it insulting to be addressed as 君. And あなた is sometimes used by women in a relationship in the same sense as “dear” is used in English.

This is about きみ not くん

EDIT: Ah, yeah, you were saying not to use words that mean “you” but I’m not sure why you said “yes” to the question.

They probably said “Yes” to the fact that both kimi and anata mean “you”, but also adding that its more common to use name-san over either.

Not 100 % sure but i think if 君 is used like between unknown man, it becomes insult (Kind of has that you are my bitch wibe), since it’s usually used between close friends and maybe girlfriend.

My partner uses あなた instead of my name when we quarrel. Ahhh… it rings so cold in my ears (and isn’t this exactly why they use it :grimacing:)!
Other than that, I echo the others in saying きみ is very casual while あなた puts just a tad more distance between the speakers (unless the hubby is called あなた by his wife, ofc).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.