Difference between sentences

Hello guys. Do you know if there’s any difference in nuance between this sentences?

1.アナさんはいちばへセーターを買いに行きました。
1.アナさんはいちばへ行って、セーターを買いました。

Thanks!

went to the market to buy a sweater vs went to the market, and bought a sweater there?

I think the first one places more emphasis on the purpose of going to the market (bought a sweater), while the second is more neutral about the events.

hopefully someone better at Japanese can comment soon.

8 Likes

The first is a sentence saying Anna went to the market for the purpose/reason of buying a sweater.

The second sentence is just a listing of a sequence of events that Anna did without that sense of tying one actions as being the purpose/reason for doing the other. In the second sentence, she could have even bought the sweater somewhere else completely.

8 Likes

also, in the first sentence it’s not clear that she has actually managed to buy the sweater, right? She only went with the intent. She may on her way there have decided to buy a clown costume instead.

6 Likes

Just passing by to say how much I hate this katakanization lol
doubt I’ll ever get used to it

Is it? I don’t know, I think it would be assumed at least that they did buy it… like, unless they specify, you’d know they did buy it.

Like, also in english, if you say “I went to X to do Y”, I guess technically you could’ve gone without accomplishing Y, but no one would assume that you didn’t without any extra info, they would think you did

1 Like

yeah, maybe, but you could follow up this sentence with a “BUT THEN… (she bought a clown costume)”.
The question was about nuance. This is a nuance i’d say, it’s not entirely clear the action was intent was accomplished.
For example, when you just saw someone leave the house, and you ask someone else, why they went away, that someone might say “they went to buy a sweater”, and in that case they definitely didn’t do it yet.

2 Likes