Difference 八, 入

Even more confusing since the stroke order is exactly the same.

Yes, but when handwritten, they look quite different.

similarkanji-01

5 Likes

Not really. They look completely different when handwritten because the long stroke and the short stroke are done in different directions and in a different order. They are basically mirrored. If you know their stroke order, you’d be hardpressed to confuse the two.

Some of us have trouble distinguishing mirror images. When I learned to write, I started by writing everything backwards with my left hand. Couldn’t tell the difference between that and what everyone else was doing. Then was beaten with a yard stick every day until I became right handed. Obviously, that wouldn’t be allowed in a school these days.

Every time I see a character which has a mirror, I have to pause and think through it. They look identical to me at first glance. But, I can also read mirrored and inverted English text easily. Most of the time I don’t notice scrambled letters either. Modern autocorrect helps me out a lot.

ち and さ trip me up every time.

1 Like

I feel the need to join @Belthazar here with 綱 and 網 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

God. 未末夫矢失来米 get me all mixed up.

4 Likes

It’s all about the phonetic components. The right side of 綱 is a phonetic component for こう. Another kanji that uses it is 鋼 (steel). On the other hand, the right side of 網 is a phonetic component for もう, though that phonetic component doesn’t seem terribly useful.

2 Likes

Just gonna drop this userscript here:

(Useful for identifying/recognizing parts of kanji that contribute to their on’yomi reading.)

3 Likes

Sometimes I forget that everybody doesn’t already know about that script.

2 Likes

If I had to choose only 1 single userscript to go through WK with, it’d be this one.

1 Like

My biggest concern about finishing WaniKani is I won’t see the information this script provides every day. Maybe @acm2010 would be willing to put all this information into a website or phone app outside of WaniKani. It’d be pretty awesome to have this information available all the time.

1 Like

Sure but the actual strokes are identical:

1. Top right to bottom left
  2. Top left to bottom right

The only difference is where the stroke begins and the length.

2 Likes

But they are not identical. The stroke order is different along with the stroke directions.

Poor choice of words on my part. I should say order and direction are the same. At least that’s how I think of it when writing.

Thanks for that! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

These two (for god knows what reason) don’t actually mix me up that much, they just happen to be the most recent I’ve learned so they came to mind first. But regardless, they look incredibly similar upon first glance (along with the hundreds of other kanji only differentiated by a single radical/stroke) and definitely made me do a double take the day I learned them.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to the API thread with the intent of downloading this, then immediately forgot which script I was looking for, and scrolled straight past it. Thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.