Did you ever do too many lessons at once?

115lessons
Just after leveling to 6 I wanted to do my new radical lessons but didn’t want to use the reorder script for whatever reason… So I ended up doing all my vocab lessons piled up from the previous level to get to the radicals. It wasn’t too bad though as this was my second time going through these levels (reset from around level 10 to 1 at the end of last year after an almost 4 year break…).
Nowadays I’m going at a steady 20 lessons per day, doing radicals first and then a mix of vocab and kanji.

1 Like

Wait am I not supposed to be doing all of them as soon as they’re available?

2 Likes

At first I was like “Wait how?!” but then I noticed these are your reviews, not lessons :upside_down_face:

Most people recommend doing lessons until your apprentice pile gets high enough (for example 100 items) or a set number of lessons per day (I do 20 per day).
Maybe you were thinking of reviews? You should clear those out at least once per day.

1 Like

I have way too much free time so I usually clear up all lessons and reviews right away. But I’m still a low level - does it get harder to do this in later levels?

Yes, because later your reviews will contain not only your recent apprentice and guru items but also master, enlightened and burn reviews of items done weeks or months ago. Doing all your lessons at once will create days when a huge number items comes back for a review and then several days of drought until the next big wave hits. Your motivation might also falter down the line and seeing hundreds of reviews piling up every couple days certainly won’t help.

So in summary right now you may be fine but you might get overwhelmed by huge numbers of reviews popping up all at once down the line.

Also this.

not sure why the comment was removed, but, link to heatmap script for anyone interested: [Userscript] Wanikani Heatmap

4 Likes

The highest number of lessons I did was 65. It was before I started to use the reorder script. Now I only do 20 lessons a day.

2 Likes

I haven’t been using scripts at all because I think I’ll be too tempted to get into script abuse but having to wade through a mountain of vocal lessons to get to the radicals and get the clock ticking on progressing the level is a chore and leads to too much temptation to just plough through them too fast. Having just finished level 13, with its two different kanji for feeling and shedload of vocab on variations like passion, enthusiasm, admiration etc. I’m definitely in a bit of a confused space and getting them all mixed up because I did all the vocal in one go.

From level 1 to 10 I did around 50 lessons every time I leveled up.
Now I rarely do even more than 10 every day.

2 Likes

The most lessons I’ve done in a day is 114. I didn’t guru enough kanji before level-up day, so there were a lot of vocab to get through before doing the radicals and kanji lessons for the new level. (I don’t do reorderscript)

It was rather exhausting, but vocab lessons are still fairly okay to do en masse. :woman_shrugging:

I keep things to around 70-80 lessons when leveling now. That’s my normal level up day.

I break the lessons up over a couple of hours getting the radical and kanji reviews going. After a brief pause, I’ll tackle the vocab in one go. They’re often stuff that I already know by now or were hinted at as example vocab during the lessons.

There are some pros to lesson binging. You get more downtime per level, like right before second batch of lessons and at the end of each level. So, I kind of like doing it like this. :slight_smile: It allows me time to concentrate less on reviews and more on other stuff each level.

I once did 75 in a day. Yeah, that was a mistake. Longest level ever.

5 Likes

I find that some lesson sessions are much easier than others. Pure Kanji are the hardest. Radicals are usually easy (just one thing to remember). As long as the vocab uses the reading from the lessons, or uses a Kanji that’s been studied in previous levels. If it’s just jukugo vocab, I’ll usually plow through them all unless I get brain fatigue, which happens on some days.

2 Likes

This is only in the case that you get everything right the first time, every time, never failing a review. With a human amount of errors made, you can expect a consistent distribution of Enlightened and Burns regardless of how quickly you did the lessons months before.

2 Likes

This is so true. 25 brand new Kanji can be more terrifying than 100 easy vocab items.

7 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.11.46 AM

So uh, apparently this was a thing at one point that I don’t even remember doing. Though to be fair, this was during the summer when I had nothing better to do than clear out reviews and lessons. I have also been forgetting a lot from the middle few lessons, so this probably wasn’t a great idea in the long run.

2 Likes

These are your reviews, not lessons.

3 Likes

To show your lessons, there’s a button in the top-right.

Thank you for pointing this out, I was concerned

3 Likes

yup, I use the setting of 20 new items per exercise and once, I did almost 80 items. and I used to review near about 100 items per day.

Sounds like a script and not such a great idea…