Did we really need to learn 飴細工?

I’m wondering about the reasoning behind choosing to include this word. Is this practice so commonly a part of conversation that we needed to commit this to memory? I’m assuming there is actually a reason, but I’m curious as to what that might be. Maybe it was the only word the authors could find that introduced the less common readings for 細 and 工?

1 Like

Vocab on WaniKani is not picked for usefulness in conversation or reading, but to help the kanji stick and introduce less common readings. It’s very well possible the readings are indeed the rationale behind introducing this word.

But in general, don’t look to WK for useful vocab. Some words may be useful to you, but many probably won’t.

20 Likes

I think there has already been a thread about that before where a lot of people found out that you can indeed find amezaiku at a lot of festivals in Japan if I remember correctly

6 Likes

Indeed. :eyes: I remember that thread. But, it’s probably also just about helping us remember those readings. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, you can.

Is this a word useful in a “use it every single day” context? No not really. But this word is useful in a “knowing about Japanese stuff” way where it can definitely come up in context…

4 Likes

I think it just depends on what you want to achieve. Native speakers know all these words and eventually if you want to achieve a very high competency you’ll have to know words like that too. Also it helps your brain utilize the kanji as it increase the function of the pattern recognition machine.

6 Likes

Kinda of a spoiler but
Kimetsu no yaiba manga
Enter at your own risk. Minor spoiler if i would say

i found 飴細工 alot on red light district some how meaning an insult. I could be wrong but i guess kinda how たこ(ocotopus) could mean kinda like weakling

1 Like

It’s been a while since I read that arc but are you sure you’re not thinking of 不細工?

For example

8 Likes

I had the same thought when I learnt that word and then a few days later someone on twitter started retweeting loads from an artist making 飴細工. Didn’t see that coming but hey, the surprise definitely cemented that word into my brain.

1 Like

amezaiku

This isn’t my photo, but I did see a stall at the Kawagoe Matsuri. Which I didn’t photograph…

2 Likes

You’d be surprised sometimes the vocab that come up - I actually had it appear in a manga recently (though I can’t remember which one) and was surprised to see it actually used! I think the important thing to remember is that after the core 2k words or so which words are useful is going to be highly context dependent. There is no way for wanikani to know what you are going to be interacting with, so giving you a broad range is the best approach.

3 Likes

I think it’s more that it’s easier to remember words that are related to physical objects. 飴細工 are probably quite striking, after all. That aside, I’m pretty sure everyone will be thankful for having seen this word when they stumble upon other words containing 細工, like 細工 and 不細工. From the kanji, I know that 細工 means something like ‘careful/detailed work’, but if I were not a Chinese speaker, knowing 飴細工 would at least give me an idea of what sort of work/workmanship we’re talking about. That’s helpful.

3 Likes

細工 is a common word, i gave it a frequency of 3225 (1045 appearance in 799 novels) it’s used in words like
木工細工
子細工
小細工
針金細工
硝子細工
不細工
竹細工職人
or even alone

here’s 100 examples ./狼と香辛料 11 Side Colors II-raw.txt: そして、自分と話している間にそんな細工をする時間は存在しなかった。./狼と香辛料 11 - Pastebin.com

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a good pattern to know “name of craft”+ 細工:

Only with kanji from WK, we have 紙細工(paper craft), 竹細工(bamboo work​), 真珠細工(pearl work​), 象牙細工(ivory carving​), 革細工(leathercraft), 貝細工 (shellwork)…

4 Likes

You don’t need to learn any of the words here. Good for you for coming and doing it though.

5 Likes

I am wrong then lol :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Ah, you’re such an 飴細工.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is an compliment but i will take it as one. ありがとう

1 Like

Personally, the weirder the words, the better I tend to remember its kanji. Plus 飴細工 is cool. :grimacing:

I’ve seen it couple of times in manga now. There are far better examples of “why???” vocab in WK. Until you come across them somewhere while reading. :wink:

I’ll probably never forget 飴細工 thanks to these SRS threads.

1 Like