Description Challenge [UPDATED]

Hello Everyone!

So I thought I would create a thread for people to give their best go at describing English words using only Japanese. This thread is open to everyone to provide feedback, and try to improve our writing skills.

Rules

2 types of posts are accepted here:

• Post a description as a reply to a user’s word and then post a new word for others to describe
  • Feedback on someone’s post

Additional Comments: If you are brand new to Japanese, even simple descriptions of said words are allowed, such a an objects color, what it makes you feel, what you think. The goal here is to produce Japanese sentences and get you thinking in Japanese! This is also aimed to improve and motivate others to improve, so be constructive with your feedback.

Also, you can respond to words people already replied to, there’s no limit, so if you see a word you want to try describing, go for it!

Have fun! :smile:

6 Likes

Seaweed
(The 10 character limit won’t stop me from posting)

2 Likes

英語で「seaweed」は7字入るが日本語で「海藻」は2漢字だけ入ります。

— Dave

3 Likes

海の底に植える植物。その上に食べれる。

2 Likes

Popcorn

10 character

2 Likes

コーンで出来る食べ物。電子レンジにコーンの粉を入れてポップコーンの設定を設けて作ることが出来る。

(This was a challenge x.x pls fix me)

2 Likes

穀粒 is kernel.

Also isn’t it a bit odd to say you’re putting kernels in the microwave? In that case, it would be the prepackaged bags of kernels you put in there. If we’re talking kernels directly then the process is a bit different.

1 Like

テーク2
コーンで出来る食べ物。電子レンジにコーンのバッグを入れてポップコーンの設定を設けて作ることが出来る。

2 Likes

I think you misunderstood, you can use kernel, but it would be in the bag. Since corn itself isn’t in there. Also the katakana for bag is バッグ I’m pretty sure.

I would use 穀粒袋 or the katakana is fine too.

2 Likes

Lipstick :lipstick:

4 Likes

Popcornはとてもおいしい。特にバターと食べる

3 Likes

唇のペイント。多分、赤いかも。

3 Likes

唇に塗る化粧品。色や触感の種類が様々ある。時々選ぶのが大変になるぐらい

4 Likes

唇の化粧品です。

(10 characters)

2 Likes

「10 characters」は英語で十人の人物の言い方。多くの小説や映画などはこれ以上のがいるけど、少ない人物がいるストーリーもある。

5 Likes

Television

「Lipstick」は文字通り唇の棒だ。唇を染めるための化粧の品だ。

Televisionは映画と番組を観るための機械です

Pond

(10 characters)

ちおっと紛らわしいけど、日本語で「リップスティック」と言ったら英語の"ChapStick"の意味になってしまうんです。

Just as an aside, I heard that the word in カタカナ: リップスティック is not the same as 口紅. Confusingly enough, リップスティック is apparently this:

chapstick

3 Likes