Descent of the Durtle into Madness

Wow, I can’t believe we’re already at 205213件! And that you’ve made so much progress towards solving this jiddle!

However, I have been hearing rumors. Rumors of … 総当たり! The use of such barbaric power - of such 蛮力 - filled me with all the sadness of an old man watching an all-consuming spiderweb (総), and makes me want to slam my fist (当).

Are we so greedy for dejiddlification? Don’t you know that brute-forcing is blasphemy? Don’t you know that it’s sacrilege? Don’t you know that it’s…

Kanji 1b:

Kun’yomi: けが (rare), みぞ (rare)
On’yomi: どく、とく

Meaning: blasphemy, profanity, desecration, defilement

Origin: 涜 is an extended shinjitai kanji. Shinjitai are Japanese simplified forms of kanji which are part of the official jōyō list, whereas extended shinjitai is an unofficial expansion of shinjitai to hyōgaiji (kanji which are not part of jōyō or jinmeiyō). The official form of this kanji is its traditional form - or kyūjitai - which is written 瀆.

In Chinese, 瀆 originally meant “ditch” or “gutter”, and appears to have been metaphorically extended to symbolize blasphemy or profanity (in much the same way that the English word “gutter” is associated with lewdness).
It is a phonosemantic compound: The semantic compounent, 氵 (water), suggests the meaning while 𧶠 suggests the pronunciation.

Note that 瀆 looks subtly different in Chinese and Japanese; c.f. Wiktionary.

SquattyKani: Samurai train hard, and they sure never skip leg day. However, you rarely see those sweet quads because they’re always wearing hakama.

However, your friend Toku is an exception to the rule. Toku isn’t his real name, but he’s called that he has trained his legs and feet to the point that a kick from him carries all the force of a super-saiyan; he is the Goku of toes. The toe Goku. He’s Toku.

Toe%20Goku
At least, that’s the official explanation. There are some who say he’s called that because he like to “smoku” the odd “toku”, if y’know what I mean.

Toku hates having his fine legs tucked away where nobody can see them; so he’s traded his hakama in for a miniskirt (冖). Other samurai call “Blasphemy!” and “Sacrilege!” at this breach of the samurai dress code, but Toku knows they’re just jealous:

When this 士 walks by wearing a 冖 that shows his bare 儿, you can see that he’s put blood, sweat and tears (氵) into his workouts.

The scandals surrounding Toku don’t end there, though. Recently, 涜 has entered the water trade. That’s right: Toku charges money for water. He takes water (氵) and he sells (売) it!

Note on writing: As noted above, 涜 is an extended shinjitai kanji, which are not considered “official”. Therefore, you may also encoutner the traditional variant of this kanji: 瀆

Lately, Toku has started slacking off; he feeks that his toes are too important to be used for walking, so this samurai (士) has put his legs up on a comfy carpet (四), which he sits on as he rides his giant Omanyte around (貝). Omanyte gets really sweaty (氵), carrying around that heavy samurai and his hot rug.

Doesn’t he know that riding an Omanyte is considered sacrilege by the Cult of the Helix Fossil? They will surely want revenge.

Vocabulary:

• 冒涜 / 冒瀆 (ぼうとく)
    blasphemy, desecration, profanity (する-verb)

A jagged face is considered a mark of courage among samurai, which is why it’s so profane that Toku would dare (冒) to desecrate (涜) himself by using botox.

Even worse, he’s become so full of himself lately that he’s started saying it in a British accent.

And worst of all, he actually thinks that “botox” is the plural of “botock”. Picture him saying:
“Botocks? By Jove, no; I’ve only had the one botock.”

I’d like to give him a kick in the “botock”, if you know what I mean.

------------

Kanji 1c:

Kun’yomi: むすば
On’yomi: どん

Meaning: “greed, avarice, voracity, coveting”

Etymology: Phonosemantic compound - Semantic 貝 (shellfish, cowry, money) + Phonetic 今 [Source: Wiktionary]

Ideogrammtic compound - 貝 (money) + 今 (now) [Source: YellowBridge]

Ideogram - Using a stopper with a lid (今) to greedily stuff possessions into a bronzeware vessel (貝) [Source: Kanji Portraits]

WannitKani: Toku has really gone off the rails since he started skipping leg day. He started riding his Omanyte (貝) everywhere - even going so far as to install a howdah (今) on it - until the poor thing died from exhaustion.

You’d think this would stop him, but no; he greedily wanted more Omanytes, so he went down to his local transportation retailer to get a new one.

His nearest retailer happens to be a SAAB. Of course, SAAB is originally Swedish, so they don’t have Omanyte; they just have moose. They ask if he’d like to try one, but Toku just responds:

“I don’t (どん) want a moose, SAAB (むさぼ). I want an Omanyte (貝), and I want it now (今)!”

moose%20saab

Vocabulary:

• 貪欲 (どんよく)
    covetousness, greed, avarice (な-adjective)

Toku wants a new Omanyte, but he can’t afford one because he spent all his money on buying the howdah for his previous Omanyte. And the one before that. And the one before that.

He needs money, fast, so he goes to the local crime don. This particular don is known as Don Yoku. Yoku isn’t his real name; he’s just called that because he can focus his ki into a powerful energy attack just by yodeling.

He’s the Goku of yodeling. A yodeling Goku. He’s Don Yoku.

Don Yoku refuses to give him any more money - he still hasn’t paid off his previous debts, and Don Yoku always collects. Don Yoku is a 貪欲な人, and if he doesn’t get his money, he’s going to unleash his powerful yodeling attack:

Don%20Yoku

This is why you shouldn’t be greedy.

This is why you shouldn’t give in to avarice.

That’s why you don’t mess with Don Yoku.

------------

Wow, what a powerful metaphor for our current situation! I hope you’ve all learned a valuable lesson from the parable of Toku: If you are too covetous, Don Yoku will blast you to smithereens.

Let’s keep dejiddling, but without getting so greedy that we end up desecrating Durtle Heaven.

Now, if you excuse me, I need to go buy some new kanji.

I… I’m sorry

You should be! I would never do such a thing!

I mean, I probably would’ve if I were better at web stuff and/or less busy at worl … but that’s a counterfactual conditional, so it doesn’t count!

Did you subscribe to WK lifetime

• to learn kanji
  • to solve the jiddle

0 voters

I already had lifetime, but I’ve been more focused on it though :wink:
First time I leveled since the jiddle started was just days ago :rofl:

“Learning kanji is life’s greatest jiddle.”
~ ancient Chinese person

I feel stuck in the realm of trying to make a lucky guess at this point. Even the spoiler info that was turned up hasn’t lead anywhere.

So there’s no lead at all?

In the Spoiler thread I’ve tried to reverse engineer to get the AABQ… but no luck yet

There’s a partial lead but nothing more.

:white_check_mark: Can’t afford lifetime
Cries

I couldn’t too, until I got money as a present this year:3 So I feel ya:)

Haven’t given up, y’all. Just busy at work.

created this topic and yet gave up long ago :eyes:

I could have, but I went a little stupid with my money, bought a new phone and donated £200 to something :slight_smile:

Pixel 3 XL so damned worth it though, so loud it vibrates in my hand when playing music! The deaf kid in me loves it.

Anyway I like being blue in this mostly purple sea, it makes me feel special

I just noticed that @a-regular-durtle received the “New User of the Month” badge… it’s probably not worth reading into at all but figured I’d mention it in case it’s somehow helpful. Seems odd for it to be given to a “fake” user, right? (unless it’s automated)

It‘s probably automated. I‘m assuming @a-regular-durtle got it because of being a new user and receiving a lot of attention in the form of likes and replies. Still, interesting to know.

Yea that makes sense. Consider that my Charlie Day Conspiracy Theory contribution.

We seek physical descendence,
and that is the key

I’ve been a bit fixated on the physical decendence, bit since we are clearly missing “the key”. What makes me think of descendence? Stairs? What makes me think of Stairs? Japanese temples.

… Reads various tofugu articles related to temples.

After that ritual, you still have more stairs to conquer. In fact, there are exactly 399 stairs in total. It’s designed like this because the 400th step represents one’s first step into death, or the afterlife. The number four, which is written as shi 四し, is pronounced “shi” in Japanese, and that is the same pronunciation as the word shi 死し, which means death.

If I want to go to heaven I will start from death

Maybe a lead?? Maybe a clue to the word hasedera or the number 400? Nothing else obviously a clue that I could see.

I like it!!!