Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!

And since we figured it out so close to post 3000 I’m sure @a-regular-durtle will have absolutely nothing useful to say since we just started

6 Likes

A regular durtle will have much appreciation for our help since it lost its key.

10 Likes

I think that was durtleheaven

3 Likes

:thinking:

SO IT WAS

2 Likes

6 Likes

radical - level, sorted Ascending, duplicates removed.
lid - 1
fins - 1
stand - 2
flowers - 4
tsunami - 5
older brother - 11
comfort - 17
nose - 29

2 Likes

I had to pick up my cat and hug her while she struggled to get away because feelings.

3 Likes

Yeah, Shift-JIS is not a simple solution…

6 Likes

If only I had taken myself more literally! :joy::joy::joy::disappointed_relieved:

15 Likes

eight radicals, four keywords. Is there a ‘nose comfort’ kanji? :smile:

2 Likes

aM8N5xM_700b

10 Likes

Good thinking! But no. The kanji are listed on the radical pages.

1 Like

Gah! At one point I knew it was you, but I fixated on the IATA thing.

1 Like

This time if we superfluously throw out a guess we have to actually TRY IT, OKAY??

4 Likes

Welp, we’ve now passed 140013件! That means that I want to learn at least 1413 kanji in this thread.

Kanji 9:

Kun’yomi: あわ
On’yomi: こう

Meaning: panic, become confused, lose one’s head

Etymology: This character appears to have come into existence quite recently; there are no historical forms of it on Hanzi Yuan, and Kanji Portraits mentions that it has no ancient writings associated with it.

It appears to be a phonosemantic compound of 忄 (left-hand form of 心 - heart) and 荒 being the phonetic component.

AwaniKani: The other day, you were out rowing your canoe (having already eaten your magical seahorse) when you spot something in the water. Is it a wani, you wonder?

But then you see a spearhead sticking out of the water, and you realize that it’s something much worse: A water ooze!

What’s a water ooze? Why, they’re terrible beasts; they’re a warrior race, made up of beings with the face of a clown, the tentacles of an octopus and the spear of a … spear-carrying creature.

You start to 慌てる (panic), knowing that you are likely destined for a watery grave.

You decide to call your friend ichi; he’ll know what you do!
But as you make the call, you notice a ringtone coming from near-by. Coming … from the water ooze.
The water ooze picks up its phone, and as it does, you hear Kōichi’s voice over the line.

You’re so relieved; behind all the clown make-up, that water ooze was really just Kōichi in disguise! This was probably all some elaborate prank!
Then Kōichi uses one of his tentacles to pick up his spear and toss is, aiming for your 心. That’s what you get for eating Nori.

Stroke order: Interestingly, this kanji can be divided into four components, each with three strokes. You start by writing the spear (忄), then the eyes (艹), then the nose and mouth (亡) and finally the three tentacles (川).

Vocabulary:

慌てる (あわてる)
panic (verb), be flustered, become confused

The durtle in the lobby tells us not to panic - 慌てるな!

Some people believe that this is a reference to 銀河ヒッチハイク・ガイド, where this phrase figures quite prominently.

オアシス

This acronym, pronounced roughly like “oasis”, can be useful to have in mind during an emergency. It stands for
押さない ・慌てない・静かに・素早く
(Don’t push - Don’t panic - Calmly - Quickly)

Kanji a:

Kun’yomi: かんが
On’yomi: こう

Meaning: consider, think

Etymology: Variant of 老, meaning “old age” - an ideogrammic compound of an old man (耂) who walks with a cane (匕).

With age comes wisdom and time to think, and so this variant form, 考, came to mean “think”.

WaniKangaroo: You have been buried alive (土). Kōichi’s spear had a poisoned tip, which gave the impression that you were dead, but really you were just in stasis.

Still, you don’t have much time before you run out of air.

You wish you were smarter. You wish you were as smart as … a kangaroo! Yes, a kangaroo would know exactly what to do in this situation; kangaroos are the best thinkers in the world!

You try to imagine what you would do if you were a kangaroo. Inspired, you quickly MacGyver together a solution involving a blue hose.

Now you have air. You’re still stuck in the coffin, but at least now you have time to think.
Think about how you’re going to escape.
Think about kangaroos.

But most importantly, think about how to exact your revenge against ichi.

Vocabulary:

考える (かんがえる)
think (about), ponder, consider

Kangaroos aren’t the only animals that think; crabigators do it, too. For example, when loading up your reviews, you’ll see WaniKani thinking - 考えている. Because the durtle in the lobby said that we should “make like your Review pile and don’t panic”, some people believe that this is a clue.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Yeah, the official way to solve it was complicated, but someone could have guessed it by trying out the big WK mnemonic characters, or possibly by seeing the “mean” hint too

1 Like

Hey @Kutsushokunin, I just want you to know that I enjoy your Kanji learning posts in this thread, and I genuinely look forward to them!

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m delighted to hear that :smiley:
I’ve learned quite a lot writing them; hope I can still remember it tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I should probably hit the hay soon; wondering how many posts we’ll have when I wake up!

3 Likes

This will probably be significant at some point, too. Maybe ancient uses or readings or…?

T-T

7 Likes