Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!

@matthieuesnault , @Belthazar, fantasic, bravo, thank you for releasing us from this purgatory :clap: :tada: :clap: :star2: :clap: :partying_face: :clap: :confetti_ball:

Unbelievable, this was way too obscure. Frankly I think there was too much misdirection in the clue and I do think this makes it obvious that folks without a lot of cipher/encoding/computer code knowledge would have had a hard time solving it. People not far enough in WK would also have a tough time thinking of the on’yomi similarity without looking it up.

New things we can realize from this answer:

• passwords can use upper-case letters and characters (dots, etc.)
  • multiple steps are involved in getting to the result
  • the code on the page doesn’t necessarily equal the length or value of the actual password
  • the answers will more likely be Wanikani-related than not

Can you imagine if we just typed in “mrs chou” or “mrs. chou” instead of “Mrs. Chou” and called it a day? :joy:

13 Likes

The second Belthazar posted that I was Naruto sprinting to durtle.club to try it, but Mrs. Chou was the last thing I tried. I was like
chou
Chou
chou
chou
mrs chou
ms chou
MRS CHOU
Mrs Chou
:thinking:

7 Likes

Sorry, I decided to blur it even though I knew that made it uncopyable, but honestly, I was so excited I’d solved it that I couldn’t even remember exactly what I’d entered. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

“hard gay likes men” and “Hard Gay likes men” are both not the new password.

6 Likes

Oh, I did try lower case first. Decided to give upper case a shot too. Luckily.

5 Likes

FOR REFERENCE.
As per WK:

六 - Six
Parts: Lid, Fins
On: ろく
Kun: む

Meaning Mnemonic

Just imagine a beast with a lid for a head and fins for feet, running around looking as insane as possible (really imagine it!). When it runs up to you, it shows you the top of its lid-head. On it is written the numbers 666. Why? Because it’s a spawn of the devil, and the number six is the devil’s number.

Imagine this beast doing various crazy things, the crazier the better (to help you remember). Make sure all these things are associated with the devil and the devil’s number (six), so you can remember the meaning of this kanji.

Reading Mnemonic

Whenever we need to remember the reading ろく we just use the word rock.

So, think about the devil and the devil’s number. What is often associated with those things? Why, rock (ろく) and roll is. Imagine the lid-head fin-legged beast suddenly blasting out rock music in the middle of his destructive mayhem.

Sing along with the monster, if it helps you to remember the reading of this kanji.

乙 - Latter
Parts: Nose
On: おつ, いつ
Kun: おと, きのと

Meaning Mnemonic

Your nose isn’t the first thing people see about your face, it’s the latter. They see your eyes THEN your nose, then your mouth, in order going down. Just label them A B and C and you’ll never forget!

Imagine saying A B C as you look down someones face at their eyes, nose and mouth. Their nose is B!

Reading Mnemonic

If you don’t have any cereal you have to eat your B breakfast option. Oats (おつ). You don’t hate oats, but they’re definitely not your first choice.

Imagine running out of cereal so you have to eat your latter option of breakfast oats. They aren’t awful but they aren’t your A breakfast choice, that’s for sure.

泣 - Cry
Parts: Stand, Tsunami
On: きゅう
Kun: な

Meaning Mnemonic

If you stand in front of a tsunami, you’re going to cry. That tsunami is going to hit you hard, and rip you right off the ground on which you stand. And then you’ll cry like a little baby.

Imagine getting hit with the full force of a tsunami. It slams into you and crushes every bone in your body. It hurts so much you cry.

Reading Mnemonic

You know what else can make you cry? A Nazi (な). Nazis are mean, mean people, much worse than tsunamis. Nazis are bad news. Imagine a Nazi surfboarding on top of that tsunami that just hit you and made you cry. I imagine there’s nothing worse in this world than that.

Picture this mean Nazi riding toward you atop of this tsunami wave. Hear him screaming, “Heil!” just before the tsunami wave crashes over you. Rotten Nazi.

競 - Compete
Parts: Older Brother, Stand
On: きょう
Kun: きそ

Meaning Mnemonic

Standing next to your older brother is another standing older brother of yours. They’re trying to compete, to see which of them can stand the straightest and tallest.

Picture your two older brothers competing like this. Are you going to root for one of them? That’s not very nice, you shouldn’t have a favorite older brother.

Reading Mnemonic

Your older brothers are trying to compete to see which of them gets to go to きょうと with you. You won a free trip to きょうと, but there’s only one other ticket, so now your brothers are competing for you.

Look really closely at your older brothers. They’re competing pretty hard for your attention. They really want to go to きょうと… but which one do YOU want to spend time with the most?

薬 - Medicine
Parts: Flowers, Comfort
On: やく
Kun: くすり

Meaning Mnemonic

Flowers can be used for comfort, but also for medicine. Sure, it’s a comfort to smell flowers because they smell nice, but one can also use them as medicine to heal people.

Imagine having some medicine that smells and tastes like fresh cut flowers. Smell the smell in your nose and taste the taste on your tongue.

Reading Mnemonic

The best way to transport all the medicine on land is with a yak (やく). Yaks are big, strong, and very capable of transporting flower medicine like these.

Picture a yak in your mind. Pretend you are riding atop the yak as it transports this medicine. Feel the fur of the yak in your hands as you cling on for dear life.

16 Likes

The password is also not “Hard Gay secretly likes women”.

3 Likes

Neither is “koichi really eats butts”.

Not that I tried or anything.

6 Likes

Quick, quick, someone immediately put this in the new wiki

2 Likes

This has been fun y’all, but I’m gonna try and solve B3 tomorrow because I wanna finish off this day with Captain America movies.

3 Likes

I’m limiting my guesses using the “four keywords” hint

1 Like

“Hard Gay says SEI”, “Hard Gay says sei”, and “Hard Gay says Sei” are all not the password

2 Likes

Wiki updated and a place for the B4 puzzle notes added. (But getting the level numbers confused. Thanks, @TheMusicalNinja )

(Well, not so much confused. Using a different numbering scheme. This is either the problem ON B3 or the problem to GET TO B4)

3 Likes

Ah right, four words… in that case, it’s also not “correct horse battery staple”

6 Likes

It may be too obvious but any variances of pleasant, painful, death, Hell, paradise, reality might be worth trying.

4 Likes

I’ve still gotta watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III. I mean, we know now that it’s not a hint in and of itself, but I only just discovered this exists. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

As long as it can somehow be squeezed down to four keywords instead of six. :thinking:
Which levels are those kanji on again? scrolls up

They’re in levels 2 (six), 11 (compete), 15 (cry), 17 (medicine), and 57 (latter).

2 Likes

There are five kanji is the issue.

4 Likes

(Yeah, but I just thought it made more sense because the one we’re ON right now is B3, the one we’re tryna get out of)
(but feel free to change it back)

Hey, can someone explain to me really quick how the hint about 91 related to the shift-JIS stuff…?