Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!

just joining the party late because I just started on wanikani last week haha - want to say amazing work so far I’ve loved reading through all the background to catch up over the past couple of days. I think we can do it

3 Likes

First line is a no-go if it’s “how to install japanese keyboard”. Total lack of letters near where they would need to be.

Quite. I didn’t even get past trying to relate the ちちこ to “how”. I mean, there’s chichiko, but the first W doesn’t appear until the sixth kana.

I feel like B4 will have some hints about the book ciphers. I mean, we only knew to look at the article with the 4 lines from B3’s hint, and discovering the book cipher was by brute forcing a code through the forums.

1 Like

But it was the same romaji spacing as between the h and o.
Still, doesn’t matter because it falls apart after that. No “t” at all for at least a dozen letters.

1 Like

Someone mapped the key pattern on the keyboard for the whole set, but did we do it line-by-line?

Not sure what you mean. Mapped how?

As in, image of the keyboard with the used keys highlighted? I remember seeing a symmetrical pattern which we thought was odd. But now that I think of it, I only remember seeing one set, not four individual ones, one for each ciphertext line.

Not that it would necessarily be much different or lead us anywhere. Just a random thought.

1 Like

Yeah, I did. Lemme find the post…

Edit: Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8! - #4702 by Belthazar

わわりこふおよき
wa wa ri ko fu o yo ki
w o r k b o o k

:smiley:

One letter per kana? I just guessed, no particular rule

7 Likes

I was just typing that out haha

1 Like

Yeah, not sure it could mean anything, because it reduces 80 characters down to a single piece of information: “it’s symmetric”. Or, “it looks like a bat”.

2 Likes

No, that works. Because を is also on the わ key.

1 Like

Ok, new theory: each code relates to one of the cipher books. Code 2 seems to match the genki-textbook URL only because Genki is one of the books in question. This code is telling us which four book ciphers we need to use.

Then we enter them in the box starting with number 4 (though whether that means 4 1 2 3 or 4 3 2 1 or something else will require more experimentation.

Let’s see if I can get the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar to fit something. I’m thinking code 1:

ぢちこたし
di chi co ta shi
Dicti…

5 Likes

Yes!!! I see it
Dictionary of yapese grammar

3 Likes

Remember waaaayyyyyyy back when people were tossing out ideas just after we first got into B3? There was a theory that ‘keywords’ actually meant, き-words, and another that postulated 'no place for Disciples of the Crabigator" meant Genki and the study of grammar.

Maybe Genki really is it. and that’s why you got the badge.

What URL was line 4 supposed to represent? I keep losing my place to that.

ends in language … maybe … I’m getting too excited decoding this

We originally thought 4 was “beginner-japanese-grammar”

しわふあぬえそせ

Japanese

beginning of 4th line

1 Like