DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

Sorry for my recent absence. I got a job and had to move countries! Anyhow, once I get settled in, I will push the changes. Sorry again for the delay, I meant to push the new changes 2 weeks ago, but life tends to get in the way. 

Thanks for waiting!

Big congrats on the recent big important changes.

Hope the move & new job (& new country!) will work out very nicely for you & your wife! Big changes like that tend to bring some (a lot of?) stress, but it goes with the territory.

Very much looking forward to any & all updates & changes in KW–thanks again for all the effort! It’s a great  日本語 supplement.

This is so great! Cheers for making this. It’s helping to improve my memory recall thus increasing my review speed. Mega kudos!

Hi Tadgh11, 

first: thank you very much. This is a nice example of the power of WK’s API. It is enjoyable. At times I forget to login and do my reviews, but that’s on my part, hehe.

There are 3 problems I have, though. 

1. some minor front end issues: most annoying is during the review, where items with long meanings don’t fit the designated area. Also only half of the remaining reviews counter is visible. The full number can be seen when you scroll horizontally.
  2. this might be already reported but there are items that have similar but not entirely the same meaning, like “preparation”. I can only imagine to enter the correct one just by chance. But I see, that items do take other vocabs with the same meaning into account.
  3. what is the meaning of the yellow bar, when you write an item with Katakana, like with 罰ゲーム. Can’t you check both version? All you need is to convert the answer to hiragana under the hood and compare that?
That’s it and thank you for this.

お疲れ様です

I would just like to add that kaniwani is great - simple, intuitive - it just works!

AND - perhaps more importantly, it has really improved my accuracy on my WK reviews!!

emin said... Hi Tadgh11, 

first: thank you very much. This is a nice example of the power of WK's API. It is enjoyable. At times I forget to login and do my reviews, but that's on my part, hehe.

There are 3 problems I have, though. 
  1. some minor front end issues: most annoying is during the review, where items with long meanings don't fit the designated area. Also only half of the remaining reviews counter is visible. The full number can be seen when you scroll horizontally.
  2. this might be already reported but there are items that have similar but not entirely the same meaning, like "preparation". I can only imagine to enter the correct one just by chance. But I see, that items do take other vocabs with the same meaning into account.
  3. what is the meaning of the yellow bar, when you write an item with Katakana, like with 罰ゲーム. Can't you check both version? All you need is to convert the answer to hiragana under the hood and compare that?
That's it and thank you for this.

お疲れ様です
 Hey there!

1. Yes indeed, we are working on this!
2. Also working on it. But currently, if you add a synonym in wanikani to a particular meaning, kaniwani will pull that synonym, thus allowing you to differentiate the two(at least in an ad hoc fashion).
3. The yellow bar simply means the input was not accepted. Currently we accept only direct hiragana input. Yes all we need to do is convert to hiragana under the hood, but unless the wanakana library has changed(I don't think it has), toHiragana() will only work on FULL katakana text blobs, or FULL romaji text blobs. I could probably fix this myself, just not at the moment. We are intending eventually to allow kanji input. 

I deeply apologize for all the delays :'(  my new job has been relatively intense. 

Embarrassing but what is an API key and where does one find it? Tried to register but it needs this “API Key” thing.

EDIT :  I found the API Key thingy :slight_smile:

Bugger. So I unlocked previous levels by accident and now was wondering if it’s possible to relock levels?

I would pay money to see this site up and running with full functionality.  It has that much potential.  Reverse-recall is an absolute must, and is SOOOOO helpful - especially for us living in Japan.  Hoping your schedule eases up soon!!

Tarubarin said... Bugger. So I unlocked previous levels by accident and now was wondering if it's possible to relock levels?
 hit me up at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu with your username and i'll take care of it

Tadgh11 said...
Tarubarin said... Bugger. So I unlocked previous levels by accident and now was wondering if it's possible to relock levels?
 hit me up at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu with your username and i'll take care of it

Same thing happened with me (well, it wasn't as much an accident as I thought it was a smart idea to unlock all levels at once, and well.. turns out it wasn't.. surprise!!)
Anyway, could you help me as well?

This is awesome!

Do you have any reason to not put this up on a Github repo?
I’ve love to contribute.

bleu said... This is awesome!

Do you have any reason to not put this up on a Github repo?
I've love to contribute.
 I'll open it up once the code is a bit less disgusting. I'll make sure to announce when it does open up!

I definitely like this, so I’ll continue to use this along with WaniKani. The AlliCrab and CrabGator, yes.

This is very helpful to distinguish what I know and what I think I know.  

I just came back to Wanikani after a long time of hiatus and I just found out about Kaniwani…OMG, I am so happy this exists. It brings the Wanikani experience to a new level!

tadgh11 - can’t tell what “better conglomeration algorithm for vocabulary” is - so maybe it is what I am about to ask :slight_smile:

I am a heavy user and the most frustrating thing (mentioned before by others) is that wanikani will have several vocab with the identical or nearly identical definitions. This is a recipe for mistakes in kaniwani! 

I just learned 三角形 and almost started to cry worrying about how it would impact my kaniwani reviews :frowning:

I guess the workaround is I should make a synonym on the wanikani side that kaniwani will pull in and help differentiate?

Jish said... tadgh11 - can't tell what "better conglomeration algorithm for vocabulary" is - so maybe it is what I am about to ask :)

I am a heavy user and the most frustrating thing (mentioned before by others) is that wanikani will have several vocab with the identical or nearly identical definitions. This is a recipe for mistakes in kaniwani! 

I just learned 三角形 and almost started to cry worrying about how it would impact my kaniwani reviews :(

I guess the workaround is I should make a synonym on the wanikani side that kaniwani will pull in and help differentiate?

For now: Yes, that is the best option. I am open to suggestions about the best way to improve it though! I have a few ideas, but they feel too lax.

I still check this thread continuously for updates - excited for when the next patch comes out!

Putyouinmyoven said... I still check this thread continuously for updates - excited for when the next patch comes out!
 I'm with you.  The next round of updates should provide some really crucial options.  Looking forward to it.