DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

I signed up and it registered my account but won’t let me sign in.  Says to use a correct username and password but won’t let me re-register saying that the info is already in use.  Do you need an activation email to login?

edit:  Nevermind, username is the one you entered not email.  lol

edit 2: Really like the recall for this just ran through about 90 reviews and it does seem to reenforce bringing words back out of your memory.  The only thing I’d like is to be able to input with Japanese directly since some words are the same except for the kanji used i.e. 帰る / 変える.  Other than that good job!  Definitely adding this to my studies.

ashleybotts said... Unfortunately I can't really enjoy this until the relocking ability is available. I logged in at level 8 and left because I wasn't ready to start recall. Now I'm back and level 8 - 13 is unlocked. I'm not ready for this, I would rather start from level 1 and work my way upwards. Why should I be required to do recall on stuff I'm still learning? I would love an "enlightened words only" filter.
 Level re-locking is being worked on and will likely be in the next patch.

mreskimoeqib said... I signed up and it registered my account but won't let me sign in.  Says to use a correct username and password but won't let me re-register saying that the info is already in use.  Do you need an activation email to login?

edit:  Nevermind, username is the one you entered not email.  lol

edit 2: Really like the recall for this just ran through about 90 reviews and it does seem to reenforce bringing words back out of your memory.  The only thing I'd like is to be able to input with Japanese directly since some words are the same except for the kanji used i.e. 帰る / 変える.  Other than that good job!  Definitely adding this to my studies.
Ah, kanji input is currently not allowed. I am considering having a setting that allows you to use your own IME, but as I mentioned in another thread I feel like this would allow you to abuse the IME's autocomplete for recall. It's in my list of things to do, though.  

Thanks!

Thanks again for continuing to work on this, I really appreciate it.

Really useful, but I made the stupid mistake of unlocking all the levels without realising what it would do. Now I have 1000 reviews on it :confused:
Guess I’ll wait until I can lock them again :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh my god I can’t believe how bad I am at this! What a great way to expose a serious deficiency in my learning. 

This is so helpful! Thank you, you are very kind for sharing. :slight_smile:

Dying for a new version of this!

every time i try to log in there’s a server error… what’s going on?

Well done!! It’s awesome! :smiley: Thanks!!

yeimz said... every time i try to log in there's a server error.. what's going on?
 Email me your account name to tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and I'll look into it ASAP.

Putyouinmyoven said... Dying for a new version of this!
 It's coming! Very shortly! I'm just in the middle of final projects and exams. Sorry about that.

Hi,

This is AWESOME! Thank you so much!

Just wondering if you could somehow make it so that I can see the whole screen on my iPhone when I type in the answer. I have to keep scrolling up and down to see the new word.

Also- another suggestion for the new version- make it so that I can lock the level I’m currently on. I want to start from the beginning and not the ones I’m doing at the moment on WaniKani.

Anyne wanna make an IOS app for this? 

Thanks again- can’t wait for the new version! This is going to help my learning immensely!!!

finally got around to signing up! 27 reviews off the bat - man, will this be helpful! And hard… ;A;
nice thing, that you can unlock whole levels - that’s something I wish WK would do ._.

by the way, the site seems to be a bit wide, as it doesn’t completely fit on my screen. I’ll have to see if it’s the same on my desktop later.

rayneg said... Hi,

This is AWESOME! Thank you so much!

Just wondering if you could somehow make it so that I can see the whole screen on my iPhone when I type in the answer. I have to keep scrolling up and down to see the new word.

Also- another suggestion for the new version- make it so that I can lock the level I'm currently on. I want to start from the beginning and not the ones I'm doing at the moment on WaniKani.

Anyne wanna make an IOS app for this? 

Thanks again- can't wait for the new version! This is going to help my learning immensely!!!!!!
 Mobile-friendliness is also in the pipeline.

Cheers! 

What I truly love about this is that WaniKani teaches you to read, while KaniWani essentially begins to teach you to speak. Two very different yet very important skills (if you ever plan on calling yourself fluent that is. If you’re just doing this for the anime/manga then just reading is really all you need lol.)

So…I had made an account, then my computer died and I wasn’t able to access it for a while, and now I can’t remember what I chose for my username/password.  :-p  How can I figure this out?

hallyster said... So...I had made an account, then my computer died and I wasn't able to access it for a while, and now I can't remember what I chose for my username/password.  :-p  How can I figure this out?
 Shoot me an email at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu and provide me your email. I can look it up from there. Sorry there isn't a recovery option at the moment. 

Wow, thank you very much for your hard work!
This site of yours is great!

@Tadgh11 Do you have an idea of when a level re-lock feature will be implemented?

That’s a really amazing website - thank you! It also helps with being able to write kanji (I just write it down on a piece of paper, and check I got it right when the answer flashes up). Thank you :slight_smile:

This is amazing! :smiley: it covers exactly what wanikani doesn’t and I love it as a complimentary site.

Just one thing. I’ve seen you’re working on the new version. Will we be able to relock levels we’ve unlocked? Because someone cough me cough was dumb enough to unlock all the levels at once, forgetting that obviously, I would get all the reviews at once. Now I have something around 1880 reviews I can’t possibly all do.

So yeah if that was included in the new version I will love you for ever.

Thanks again for such a great idea!