Demotivated by errors

I don’t know how you feel about modding your WaniKani experience, but I would recommend looking into one of the various “Leach Trainer” apps available for WaniKani.

You can find an exhaustive list of apps here: The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I have recently started using this one: [Unsupported] Leech training script

It adds another button next to Lessons and Reviews called “Leeches”. These are items that you have failed on repeatedly in the past so they keep hanging on (like a leech). Clicking on the button will bring up a small interface where you can review the radical/kanji/vocab items that you are struggling with, outside of WaniKani’s SRS system. It helps you to identify and give extra attention to the meanings and readings that are giving you the most trouble without worrying about being punished for your failed attempts. It helps you to recognize which items might need individual study to help you master them. I feel like it has really helped me to keep from repeating the same mistake over and over without realizing it.

There are also a number of other useful apps available for streamlining or modifying your WaniKani experience, depending on your personal learning goals and preferences. For example, I’m using the WaniKani Ultimate Timeline which gives a better breakdown of when items will be up for review, allowing you to anticipate and properly plan for the arrival of large number of reviews. And WaniKani Fast Abridged Wrong/Multiple Answer … which has a crazy name, but basically it shows the right answer directly below your answer, if you submit the wrong answer or if the item has multiple right answers. It saves time/clicks, since you don’t have to open up a tab to see synonyms or figure out what you did wrong. I’m also using the WaniKani Level Celebrator … because I want to feel like a winner. :slight_smile: