Demotivated by errors

This nice feeling of shame when you fail to burn an item because of a typo… :upside_down_face:

That’s why you need the ignore script :smiley:

2 Likes

I can’t on iOS :persevere:

Or that’s when you leave the review pile for some hours and by the time you try it again, it’d have forgotten that you had entered a wrong answer.

If you don’t want to wait for the system to forget, you can always use the app (android for me) and answer it there since the phone won’t have your wrong answer in its cache.

This all depends on the fact that you have not already just given the correct answer at a later stage to see that red mark.
Also, I only use this trick when I have made a typo.

I’d say don’t worry too much about accuracy, the SRS will take care of it. Try to take the most out of every lesson and don’t take more than you can hold! I always did every vocab item as soon as it was available and it was killing me. Try to space vocab lessons by x amount of items each day. That helped me a lot.

2 Likes

[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani has the ignore script built in :wink:

1 Like

I ignored the “limiting how many apprentice items you have at once” thing, because it was always pitched as a way to limit reviews, and I’m fine doing a bunch of reviews. But I came back after a ~2 month break and realized, my brain just plain can’t hold on to too many things that I “half-know” at one time. So I spent a few days doing reviews only, and really working on solidifying my iffy stuff. Then moved on to the new stuff, and I think it really helped to slow down for a few(3-5) days, probably saved me months of feeling overwhelmed.

2 Likes

Um… chill out?

It’s hard for some people to just “chill out” yeesh…It’s like telling someone to “relax” totally unhelpful.

never-in-the-history-of-calming-down-has-anyone-ever-calmed-down-by-being-told-to-calm-down-c6b47

11 Likes

I think it’s the best advice in this particular situation.

@Belthazar

Yes but what I said was “chill out” not “calm down” :blush:

1 Like

:roll_eyes: right, that makes a world of difference

1 Like

I think whatever item you see yourself failing more often than not should go under revision.
Do you remember those radicals? Do they strike you as memorable? As you will be presented with several mnemonics using those, you should spend the extra time to learn those well. Adjust the concept to something you can easily remember. Imagine whatever you must to make them stick… go funny, go naughty, whatever it takes.

Once your are at peace with the radical, what about the kanji itself, does the mnemonic presented strikes you as apealing? There’s a Kanji damage script to be able to see those mnemonics as well (sometimes those are more creative) . And if not, create your own.
For readings, try to adjust the presented story to a vivid image in your mind. If for whatever reason the mnemonic makes no sense or act as a false “phonetic” friend (as It happens to me more often than not, since english it’s not my mother language), create a good one, a better character that you can consistently keep coming back for the same reading. Hey, we are not all into CHarlie Sheen stories, are we?:sweat_smile:

WK provides the structure, but tweaking is a must. Also, after learning vocab outside of WK, many kanji will just match the actual word you already know and the entire process will be much faster.

1 Like

Sometimes the most meaningful advice is the simplest. One should perhaps strive to uncover the bigger truth conveyed by the few, seemingly idiotic, words.
It is most rewarding when one realizes by himself the meaning and beauty of such advice. Its ability to change the human condition, I must say, on a fundamental level, should not be underestimated by claiming ignorance and ill intent on the side of the person muttering the words.
Knowing full well the good-heartedness of those that came before (here, the author is referring to the older than him users), I had the utmost confidence I would not be depriving him of other more detailed advice, should mine fail, yet at the same time had the hope that it would be received with surprise destined to awake curiosity that would then cause deep introspection and perhaps, in the end, fix the issue.
Was it so? I cannot say.

4 Likes

Honestly, I used to be very frustrated by errors (especially typo), and then I read this advice from @Syphus.
It’s basically just telling yourself “bear with it”. It worked for me.
I kinda mean that as a reply to @charles113, since it goes in the same direction of “simple advices”, but it didn’t feel right to do it directly, soooo here’s an @ instead.

1 Like

I also tend to get quite a few errors, typically get 70-80% correct on long review sessions. 90%+ would be a rare exception for me. I also usually have a number of items getting kicked back down from Master each time a batch comes up for review. The SRS does seem to do it’s job over time - some of the items that I remember having constant trouble with during the early lessons have sailed through to Enlightened after enough repetitions that they were hammered in properly!

1 Like

It occurs to me that what Wanikani displays during and after reviews encourages a focus on errors and might increase discouragement in those who tend toward it.

Maybe someone could make an add-on? (Or maybe they already have?) They could remove the percentage score from the review screen, and on the results screen, have the correctly answered items listed at the top, rather than underneath, and list no percentage.

Percentages are great for those who find them motivating, but some people might want to escape from them.

EDITED TO ADD: The “incorrect” notification could also be modified a bit—it could say something like, Items that need work soon, or Items that will be reviewed sooner, or Trickier items, or Items that require more review, or Items to study further. I can’t figure out what would be a good wording for this, but it could be something that doesn’t just reference the failure to answer the question correctly.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s pretty good advice.

It’s also an unescapable fact that you are going to forget words all the time, or otherwise make stupid errors. In fact I look up words every once in awhile only to find out they’re on this site and I burned them two years ago.

The best thing to do is to just accept it as a fact of life.

I’m only motivated to stay above 60% in success rate. I’ve already committed to the fact I’ll be studying Japanese much longer than it takes to finish wanikani. I think the more you’re exposed to a kanji by answering them wrong the higher likeliness of remembering them after my time here.

1 Like

I can’t imagine having 60 levels of WaniKani Japanese to wade through in my head to come up with the right answers in reviews. Some are hard to conjure up down here at level 7. Haha.

I’ve had a few ~70% reviews in a row recently. It’s annoying, but as long as I’m getting more right than wrong each time, I’m happy.

1 Like

I don’t know how you feel about modding your WaniKani experience, but I would recommend looking into one of the various “Leach Trainer” apps available for WaniKani.

You can find an exhaustive list of apps here: The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I have recently started using this one: [Userscript] Leech training script

It adds another button next to Lessons and Reviews called “Leeches”. These are items that you have failed on repeatedly in the past so they keep hanging on (like a leech). Clicking on the button will bring up a small interface where you can review the radical/kanji/vocab items that you are struggling with, outside of WaniKani’s SRS system. It helps you to identify and give extra attention to the meanings and readings that are giving you the most trouble without worrying about being punished for your failed attempts. It helps you to recognize which items might need individual study to help you master them. I feel like it has really helped me to keep from repeating the same mistake over and over without realizing it.

There are also a number of other useful apps available for streamlining or modifying your WaniKani experience, depending on your personal learning goals and preferences. For example, I’m using the WaniKani Ultimate Timeline which gives a better breakdown of when items will be up for review, allowing you to anticipate and properly plan for the arrival of large number of reviews. And WaniKani Fast Abridged Wrong/Multiple Answer … which has a crazy name, but basically it shows the right answer directly below your answer, if you submit the wrong answer or if the item has multiple right answers. It saves time/clicks, since you don’t have to open up a tab to see synonyms or figure out what you did wrong. I’m also using the WaniKani Level Celebrator … because I want to feel like a winner. :slight_smile: