Deleted posts still visible

@CyrusS I have noticed in the last couple of weeks quite a few ‘deleted posts’ older than 24 hrs (some are months or even years old) which are still/once again marked as “(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)” and so are - with one little poke of the finger/click of the mouse - still fully readable.

I am happy to point out examples by email - didn’t want to link examples here as users may not be pleased with the extra views that may ensue…

2 Likes

I’ve had that several times in the “Like for a Like” thread. You can tag @CyrusS for this.

2 Likes

This might have to be reported to Discourse directly as well.

2 Likes

Nooooooo!!!

1 Like

i love how how it tracks the 2 words in the automated message.

15 Likes

…and it would seem often enough that some users like to use the phrase “(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)” just to mess with my search for legitimate problems - ima lookin at you, @plantron! (and, yes, I’m aware of the irony/hypocrisy of having now done it twice myself in this thread.)

But don’t worry, Cyrus, I’ve found and bookmarked legit ones too. It’s definitely not happening in all cases, and in some cases I can sort-of understand the problem (1 is the OP of a thread, one has been marked as a sol’n), but the rest…? :thinking:

3 Likes

7 Likes

What if someone just deleted the post, though?

A couple months ago, I woke up in the middle of the night and deleted some posts that my brain suddenly decided were sharing way too much information… (And yeah, those messages seem to be gone).

2 Likes

I was wondering this as well. I have deleted one or two posts that were months old before.

1 Like

I had considered that, and do recall seeing someone doing just that a couple of months ago as I was reading an old thread, but a couple of the posts are 9 months old, which made me think that was less likely; I suppose admin will be better able to see if it is a bug or if I’ve mistaken the matter - won’t be the first time I make a fool of myself in front of Cyrus!

1 Like

Even if it’s not a bug, it’s still probably better that you mentioned it to make sure. I would be mildly upset if I deleted a post and it didn’t actually get deleted.

3 Likes

@plantron, you can help here - do you recall having deleted one of your comments from the “My thoughts, tips and ramblings…” thread in the last 19 hrs (I marked it just before creating this thread 5 hrs ago)? That’s one of your legit ones.

A short time later… Just had a squizz at the edit, and the date May 23 is next to your user name - is that possibly when you deleted it?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

The deletions do appear to be dated (if I’m understanding this aspect of Discourse correctly) and so are months old.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the dates / times next to the edit history information correspond to when those edits were made, which implies that you’re correct in thinking there’s some kind of bug going on here if the edits are from months ago.

1 Like

I have nothing useful to add, just wanted to say Hello @Rowena, long time no see! :wave:t3:

2 Likes

Been thinking of you each time I see a rainbow now, and there have been sooo many with all this weather we’re having :blush::rainbow::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

1 Like

Yup, that was me.

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve confused things with my edit - did you delete in the last day, or back in May?

Back in May.