Deepl.com read out the Tofugu example sentence - fun

喫煙する人が一人もいません - it reads really fast so I had to listen a few times, but thanks to it I didn’t have to guess which reading it was.
Fun.

3 Likes

Have you tried Azure neural text-to-speech?

3 Likes

Deepl just says “Chinese Letter” over and over in an incredibly robotic voice for me… is there a secret?

The Azure one is really good though

2 Likes

I chose translate from Japanese

My Deepl doesn’t seem to have a voice function at all for Japanese. Is that a paid feature?

At any rate, I just use Google Translate or Ichi.moe if I’m unsure of the reading.

DeepL Translate: The world’s most accurate translator

I have a free version

1 Like

Strange, even your results are a bit different

1 Like

I missed the n at the end. It was fun. I was taking away letters from the end, one by one, and then I took away some middle letters - the meaning changed but the translator always gave a result

1 Like

Huh. I’ve never noticed that “read it” button before, and I’ve definitely looked for it…

2 Likes

DeepL’s strength and weakness is that it always tries to output something sensible in the target language. This makes it useful for translating content produced by a native speaker where you can assume that the grammar is reasonably correct. It will produce idiomatically acceptable English rather than a stilted, literal translation.

It also makes it a very bad tool for checking whether or not you’ve gotten your own grammar right because you can write some seriously janky, broken Japanese and it will still output a coherent English sentence rather than an English sentence that is equivalently janky to your Japanese input.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.