Deciphering the language of Japanese book covers

Book covers are designed to attract the reader’s eye in a book store, but they’re also designed to convey information. You can usually tell if a book is YA, horror, mystery, romance, humorous, “serious” literature, historical fiction, etc, at a glance. But it seems to me like different countries use different cover design conventions, and I’m still struggling with Japanese book covers.

Examples from my bookshelf:

1. image
Judging from the cover only, would you say this book is…
  • Children’s book?
  • Mystery?
  • Humorous?
  • Literary fiction?
  • Horror?
  • Romance?
  • Fantasy?

0 voters

It’s a mystery with many touches of humour, but definitely not for younger audiences.

• Children’s book?
  • Mystery?
  • Humorous?
  • Literary fiction?
  • Horror?
  • Romance?
  • Fantasy?

0 voters

It’s supposed to be horror with humorous elements. (haven’t read it yet so I’m going by the blurb)

1. image
  • Children’s book?
  • Mystery?
  • Humorous?
  • Literary fiction?
  • Horror?
  • Romance?
  • Fantasy?

0 voters

It’s supposed to be a straight, adult mystery (haven’t read it yet so I’m going by the blurb)

Not in my bookshelf (yet?), but I ran into this book today:

1. image, image
  • Children’s book?
  • Mystery?
  • Humorous?
  • Literary fiction?
  • Horror?
  • Romance?
  • Fantasy?

0 voters

I don’t know exactly, but judging from the description and reviews it’s dark, and has mystery elements? The blurb on Amazon even calls it ノワール・エンタテインメント.

Please share covers of your own that have perplexed you or seemed misleading to you, or ways you can tell what a book is about by its cover!

22 Likes

Well, I’m glad I voted with the majority for every book, but I definitely would have pegged the third one as being Sci-Fi.

(What, exactly, is “literary fiction”? It’s a bit subjective, innit?)

10 Likes

Definitely, but I don’t know how to describe it really. I’d say it’s books that don’t belong to any particular genre, the kind that are more likely to win an Akutagawa or Naoki prize. If you have a better word please let me know! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Literary fiction is definitely a genre; but I am not sure if I can describe it well. Tends to be intellectual exploration of things rather than emotional. Can be a character study/vignette style. Doesn’t actually need a story. A lot of literary prizes goes to these kinda of books. Can be more playing/deep diving into one technique.

If I had to pick one word I would say intellectual and not necessarily in a good way. :sweat_smile: Can you tell how I feel about the genre in general? Give me something a bit more exciting please xD

12 Likes

Here are covers from books I own that I consider literary fiction, or non-genre fiction, or general fiction, or whatever else you may call them. Not all of them are deeply intellectual :slight_smile:

image ,image, image, image, image, image

14 Likes

From the sounds of it, this would be called just fiction, since fiction is any book containing a literatry story, as opposed to books about facts, like sciencentific treatises, encyclopedias, manuals etc.

Under the umbrella of fiction, we find the specific literary genres, for example science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction, tragedy, horror, mystery, etc. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes. But how to refer to it in so as to differentiate it from genre fiction? Honest question, because I sometimes want to browse online bookstores for exactly such books, and I have no idea how to filter the results. You can filter by mystery, horror, romance, sci-fi, etc, but there seems to be no proper keyword for “general” fiction or “just” fiction.

4 Likes

More fun with covers.

Mystery, Horror, or Other? (Judging from the cover only)

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as mystery.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as horror.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as mystery.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as mystery.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as mystery.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as horror.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as horror. (If it were me I’d put it in general fiction)

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s literary fiction. Actually literary, I believe.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as horror.

1. image
  • Mystery
  • Horror
  • Other

0 voters

It’s labeled as horror.

16 Likes

Me: Aww, cute animals :pleading_face:
The description: horror :neutral_face:

:joy:

15 Likes

That was an interesting selection. I started out misjudging the first three and from then decided to pick the opposite of what I was immediately thinking – and look at that, my guesses were right more often. :sweat_smile:

Those mystery and horror covers are weirdly close and yet different from each other: it may be almost necessary to read the book description somewhere before buying one of these to avoid being misled.

11 Likes

It’s actually both :sweat_smile: I feel bad voting, I’ve seen most of these covers in book review videos

5 Likes

And then there are these annoyingly similar covers:

Letters on black background:

non fiction? (based on true story at least), mystery, Naoki prize winner

labeled as horror (I have my reservations)

Police procedural, mystery

With added flowers:

mystery

mystery

Or lanterns:

mystery short stories

14 Likes

It’s got a jail cell! They’re trying!

6 Likes

I’d say there’s a difference here between how books are defined by literary science and how they’re marketed by store chains and by publishers. I’m not sure I’m able to answer this one. ^^; It’s not very clear-cut, that’s for sure. Just as it isn’t for games, movies or music etc. either.

And I’m thinking about these things mostly in Swedish, so that’s also a bit different, though the general problem surely exists there as well. :thinking: Hopefully others have something more enlightening to add.:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I knew (about) all these books since I set up the polls and I still voted, because I voted based on the impression I got from the cover, not what I knew of the book. :wink:

4 Likes

Also wanted to add that this exercise was a lot of fun! Made you think for a bit, and get confused for a bit! XD

8 Likes

I thought this may be a fun game to play as well:

• Fantasy
  • Romance
  • Sci-Fi
  • Mystery

0 voters

It’s romance

• Sci-Fi
  • Fantasy
  • Suspense
  • Heart warming

0 voters

It’s suspense

• Fantasy
  • Romance
  • Mystery
  • Heart warming

0 voters

It’s mystery

• Coming of age
  • Sci Fi
  • War stories
  • Heart warming

0 voters

It’s war stories

6 Likes

This says horror in the circle, and ホラー on the left.

I guess 3 could be anything, but 殺人 is a very good indicator of a book being a mystery.

When you say “by the book cover only”, do you mean just the image or all the information in the cover? (Title, image, text)

I got a pretty good score overall, mostly based on title + image, if it wasn’t just stated in the cover.

A lot of the books I’ve read, from drama, to fantasy/mystery, aren’t particularly telling with their covers. I’ll share some later.

They’re usually either based on the title, even if the title doesn’t have a lot of impact in the story, or based on something that happens in the book, without a lot of context.

7 Likes

Yeah, I meant art only. It’s the choice of style of art that intrigues me. Usually art+title are a better indicator, but sometimes even the title doesn’t clear up things enough.

4 Likes

I was looking at art, the choice of font, and the arrangement of title and such. The way I see it, I should be able to figure out genre without having to read the title.

My result: Turns out Western style covers (mostly American) have a different way to show genre than Japanese style. I have not figured out how to tell genre from Japanese covers… (I did get some right, but it felt rather random.)

5 Likes