Debate on... Math and Computer Science [Home Thread]

Loved this video, thought I would share

12 Likes

I had also watched this one and I was pretty surprised Brownian motion and Benfordā€™s Law popping up.

Number theory as a whole has simple statements that are hard to proof (or disproof) such as Fermatā€™s Last Theorem. I watched the related documentary in our history of mathematics course and those were very peculiar characters to say the least lol.

3 Likes

I just came here to post this video too! Really cool stuff!

4 Likes

@Pep95 I also liked these vids. Not sure if it fits with this thread tho.

3 Likes

Oh I love this guy. He has a lot of great videos, and also sometimes guest stars on numberphile

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. ā€¦ seems to be an interesting channel.

Thanks for sharing them as well. Question 7.2 in the current book club is taken from the paper :blush:

I also edited in a reference to this post over there. I admit though the links are kind of well hidden behind some detail tagsā€¦

1 Like

When youā€™re watching Love Live and thereā€™s a classroom scene where the teacher is talking about complex numbers in the background

(Well I certainly wasnā€™t expecting that in my idol anime!)

6 Likes

Randomly resurrecting this thread because I saw the University of Tokyo post about a new Japanese learning course focusing on science and technology:

I figured it might interest a few people. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing that one :slight_smile:

As it has just started, anybody interested in joining the proposed lecture series?

Letā€™s Read Learning Japanese through Science & Technology
  • Count me in. I am following the lecture series.
  • Iā€™m not following, but you can count me in for the discussions.
  • Sorry, Iā€™ll pass on this one.
0 voters

I also would like to thank @seanblue, @NicoleIsEnough, @DIO-Berry senpai for moving this bookclubs threads to the new ā€œBook Clubsā€ section here in the forums. I really appreciate your help.

And to stimulate this threads resurrection even further: anybody interested in going through this springs IBM quantum challenge? The notebooks are translated into Japanese (~intermediate / advanced level) and the exercises are centered around the Many-body problem - Wikipedia.

IBM Quantum Spring Challenge 2022
  • Iā€™m interested
  • Nope, Iā€™m not interested
0 voters

And in case you are a lost POLL-durtle on itā€™s mission to click on every poll within this community:

POLL-durtle hereā€¦ :durtle_hello:
  • ā€¦ Why didnā€™t you include an option for POLL-durtles in your previous polls? :pleading_face:
0 voters
1 Like

To be perfectly honest, I have both the JLPT N1 and several uni exams to study for, so Iā€™m not 100% sure Iā€™ll join in, but Iā€™ll try. It might still be good practice for me (depending on which words are chosen), and since itā€™s on Coursera, I know Iā€™ll have a lot more latitude as to when I want to study without losing access to the course content.

EDIT: Honestly, yeah, it does look like good practice, at least for technical vocabulary, especially if I turn off subtitles and only check the transcription when I need it. To make it really challenging, I might need to up the playback speed, but even so, seems like a decent resource. Might be good for breaks.

2 Likes

I was planning to check it out over the summer anyways so Iā€™m interested, but Iā€™m also pretty busy with exams and JLPT prep right now so thereā€™s no way I can get started with it this month.

2 Likes

That makes two of us, it seems! :slight_smile: All the best!

2 Likes

You too! :grin:

2 Likes

6jndih

3 Likes