[Unsupported] Dashboard Userscript: Leech, Apprentice, and Guru detail (aka SRS level progress)

Wouldn’t it be better to show a list of leeches from last review rather than from upcoming review?
Because after you refresh your dashboard they also disappear.

For me, the leech screen saver is the most useful tool. The leeches appear in no particular order at a time when I am not preparing to do a review.

Would you find the list more useful if it showed the ones with the highest number of incorrect answers instead of which leech is appearing in your next review?

I would like to acknowledge that @hitechbunny has put in an amazing effort to make these available to us. A lot of the processing is done on his own server.

Thank you for your work @hitechbunny :grinning:

If its only shows you the highest number of incorrect answeres it woul’t be usefull.
That would only be a pile of shame :wink:

But if you add the abbility to hide entries which gets visible after you get them wrong in a review again. That would be nice.

Because then I would have a nice todo-list which I could work through

This script is amazing!

But… 231 leeches in Guru [cries in Japanese]

1 Like

Hey @zdennis. I’m open to any changes you have in mind. I’d rather not get into configuration options and just make it one way for everyone. Another variation I’d considered was to list leeches by worst-offenders-first. Another was to exclude leeches from the list that would be reviewed within the next X hours.

hide entries which gets visible after you get them wrong in a review again.

Can you explain this idea to me? I’m not quite following it (mostly because of “again” in the sentence).

@zdennis Is something like this what you had in mind: What about leech indicators on the review page?

Thats a great idea :slight_smile:

I have some bad items which would stay there for months

1. You do your reviews. After a while some items become leeches.
  2. These items will get displayed in your list.
  3. I look into the list put some effort into the leeches and decide thats enough.
  4. I click on “ignore this item” ( for every leech I think I had put enough extra work in)
  5. The leech items where I clicked “ignore” disappear from the list
  6. Next review time. Oh no I got one of the leeches wrong. It reappears in the List.
  7. Repeat → Step 2

I just think its odd to have a Script with a function to show upcoming stuff which you should’t use until after the review. Where the script would’t show this items anymore.

The time you are “allowed” to use the items in the list. The function of the script would’t show them anymore.

Script function: show upcoming review items
People usage: give me reviews from the last review

You need to make sure you have a extra dashboard tab open before doing the reviews because after it. The leeches you want to check are gone.

I don’t think it is necessary to have an “ignore this item” function because the the leech score is adjusted and it naturally drops off the list when you get it correct. Even if someone puts extra work in it, they might still get it wrong.

For your info, this is the formula for determining whether an item is a leech:

leech_score = number of incorrect answers / ((current correct streak)^1.5).

If the result is >= 1.0, it qualifies as a leech.

As the current streak increases, the leech_score decreases.

@hitechbunny is there a way to export the leches?

@zdennis At the moment you can download them as JSON (e.g. https://wanikanitools.curiousattemptbunny.com/leeches.json), I’d be glad to offer them another way if there’s a format that would work for most people. :smiley:

1 Like

well this works perfectly for me :sunglasses:

@zdennis Note that you need to add your V2 api key to that URL: https://wanikanitools.curiousattemptbunny.com/leeches.json?api_key=XXX.

I thought so.

Do you filter some items out on the site?

Yes. The “Upcoming Leeches List” is limited to 10. If you follow the “More Leeches…” link you get a sorted table view (https://wanikanitools.curiousattemptbunny.com/leeches - can add your api_key here to the URL too) of the same complete list of leeches.

Note: I haven’t optimized the speed of the leeches page yet, so it’s still the old-style slow version - be patient while it loads.

I was just thinking about this!

Well, I’m not an expert on this and it’s the first time that I’m actually trying to build an Anki deck. But would it be possible to build something that puts all the leeches in an excel sheet so that we can export to Anki right away?

Personally, I’m trying to build a deck like this:

• Kanji/Vocab => Meanings (and reversed for vocab)
  • Kanji/Vocab => Reading(s)

Not sure if it’s something hard to do but it’s an idea :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It shouldn’t be heard to do at all. Just a question of being sure it’s outputting something that works for Anki (which is a tool I don’t have setup).

1 Like

You could give options for people to be able to customize the way they want. For example, "Vocab => Meanings and reversed card, Kanji => Readings, Vocab => Readings).

Your script allows us to identify leeches, but it doesn’t have a practical way of fixing them. This could solve the whole problem in my opinion.

2 Likes

@hitechbunny, @jprspereira, the WaniKani to Anki Exporter already has an Anki note. The web site has full instructions for the end user to set up their Anki deck. The note has a single flashcard. The flashcard displays the item (a radical, a kanji or a vocab item). When the user presses “show answer”, it displays the English.

Wanikani to Anki Exporter forum thread

Wanikani to Anki web site. You need to enter your API (version 1) and click on the words “Docs” if you cannot see the instructions.

To create content, all you have to do is provide a comma-separated file with the fields in the following order. Here is the field list:

# WaniKani to Anki Exporter (http://wanikanitoanki.com)
key;
type;
character;
meaning;
image;
onyomi;
kunyomi;
important_reading;
kana;
level

Example Vocabulary item:

v_早速;
vocabulary;
早速;
at once, immediately, without delay, right away, right now;
;
;
;
;
さっそく;

Example kanji item:

k_治;
kanji;
治;
cure, heal, reign, rule;
;
じ, ち;
なお;
onyomi;
;

Example radical item:

r_orders;
radical;
令;
orders;
;
;
;
;
;

Ideally, the Wanikani to Anki Exporter site should have a button for downloading leeches, along with their many existing options. I read in the API V2 thread that the developer is looking at converting the site to API V2.

p.s. I already made this suggestion in June 2017. I went ahead and made my own cards using that template, but it was too time consuming. We should be studying for JLPT anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

JLPT :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: もっと勉強する必要がある。やばい :sob:

(I do appreciate your useful comment. I’ll check it out when I have time! :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

Hmm. Thanks, @wunderbunny. Before I saw this I went ahead and implemented something simple going by the Anki docs. It produces this once imported: (First Of All is a leech of mine)

I could improve on this by only adding to the Anki deck the aspect that is leech-y. I.e. I always get the meaning of Inside correct, just not necessary correct across kanji <-> vocab.

Visit https://wanikanitools-golang.curiousattemptbunny.com/leeches.txt?api_key=YOUR_V2_API_KEY, or to see mine just https://wanikanitools-golang.curiousattemptbunny.com/leeches.txt.

Again, I’m a complete Anki newbie so there could be something fatally wrong here. FYI @jprspereira.