DanMachi Volume 1 Week 1

Not much? The entire thing basically felt like fan service to me. xD

I should probably get going on that, because I’m definitely going to need it. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What about the main story? (Although, the anime might have taken liberties compared to the book)

2 Likes

I would say that while the anime does definitely have its fair share of fan service, its the story that pulled me in, and to me it was interesting and unique compared to generic isekai and other shows. I enjoyed the story on a similar level to re:zero, although re:zero is much darker.

2 Likes

It’s not over the top like some anime, but as @afunian said, there’s a fair share.

I personally am a bit wary of fan service as well as it can make me cringe hard if it’s too much, but I find it ok in DanMachi for the most part.

You’ll just have to check it out yourself as what I/we consider as acceptable might be too much for you or vice versa.

2 Likes

From what I vaguely remember of what I watched, considerably more than ReZero and infinitely less than Haruhi (but that is a pretty wide range). :turtle:

Unfortunate that light novels can’t just do the neat story part and leave out the bleh…

4 Likes

Thank you all for pitching in.
Since it’s available at my local library, I’ll probably give it a go, then.

5 Likes

Has anyone read the section yet? I just finished and could use a bit of clarification:

So Bell (the main character) was on the 5th floor, which is normally for level 2s, as a level 1. The minotaur was also on the 5th floor but they should be floors 15 and higher. Is that all correct because I was a bit confused here…

1 Like

I will reread and check in a bit, but that sounds right from what I remember.

1 Like

Almost Correct, I’ll also add an explanation of what happened and a general introduction to how the Dungeon works:

Bell, having just begun (two weeks before) had gone only as far as the second floor, this time he decided to push it a little farther (well, too far I guess) and reached floor 3, floor 4 and floor 5. There he met the minotaur that shows up only starting floor 15 and lower. There are a lot of floors, but only ~5/6 levels. (Levels are used for people and monsters) Bell is a Level 1. I don’t remember the exact floor they should be going in, especially alone, but they can normally reach floor 5 and beyond (possibly something like floor 12/13). Not sure what line you got that bit from, but while the Minotaur is a Level 2 monster (pretty much impossible for Level 1 adventurers), floor 5 is perfectly normal for them. The problem wasn’t really the floor he was at, but rather the fact that a monster from floor 15 had come up on the 5th floor [By the way, about the Dungeon’s geometry…it’s kind of Dante’s hell reversed, so the first floor is small, going down they become bigger]. The higher the floor number the lower you are actually getting. All this just to say that it is more correct to say the Minotaur should be at “floor 15 and lower”. The whole group of floors 25-thirtysomething is called “Lower Levels” because of this. Monster can move from one floor to another (a little bit), but from 15th to 5th is very very rare. The Guild can’t have all the newbies killed… Trivial but technically a spoiler: In this case it was Aiz’s party’s fault, they had scared them in the lowers level and one had escaped until floor 5. They show it in Ars Oratoria, I don’t think it’s mentioned in DanMachi.

One more spoiler about adventurers’ levels, stuff that is explained at the end of chapter one:

They go from from Level 1 to Level ~6, but adventurers’ physical abilities also depend on some fixed “Basic Abilities”: agility, strength, magic… [RPG style]. They have a number from 1 to 999. Bell has still low numbers and low ranks. Basically floor 5 was still pushing it a little bit too far. He wasn’t just a level 1. He was a Level 1 with no party (i.e. soloing) and a very new Level 1, so his ranks are still very low even among Level 1s.

Is this kind of spoilers OK? I tried to keep it to nothing story-important.

2 Likes

So it was the minotaur that was leveled, thanks for clearing it up! I have actually seen the S1 and S2 and sword oratoria as well!
Btw about the levels (spoiler not from this section) There is a level 7 adventurer as well, Ottar, the guy from the Freya familia.

You are welcome!

Also yes, that’s true, that’s why I added the “~” :joy: (Also because we don’t know whether there’s a maximum level. Our Bell grows fast but he’s still pretty damn low level…)
Beside I think he’s currently the only one. Although there may have been others before (I’m thinking about Zeus and Hera familia)…

I think you should probably keep most of that under spoiler :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Edited, thanks for the warning :+1:. I’ll be more careful.

1 Like

New section thread!

4 Likes

Decided to finally read the 1st volume now that you guys are done! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was wondering where the end to this might be since I’m reading on kindle and don’t have page numbers, but that あはは was hard to miss. :smiley: A bunch of unfamiliar vocab to start the story off here, but nothing too terrible.

I was planning to read through the threads along side the book, but I have this terrible habit of clicking on spoiler blurs - are there more spoilers upcoming in the other threads that spoiler more than the current week?

6 Likes

Uuuuuh you should probably avoid my spoilers… I tend to talk about whatever book I am on as well as the current week’s content. I think I marked those correctly but at some point it was only two or three of us reading along, so I assumed people were aware :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Haha, thanks for the heads up. :see_no_evil: I’ll try to keep my clicking urges in check.

1 Like

Oh god I have spoilers about volume 3 not even behind spoiler tags what is wrong with me.

Well, I’m going on an adventure! re-reading everything I said

4 Likes

Haha oh my, thank you! :see_no_evil: I appreciate it!

2 Likes

All clear! Except for that one volume 3 spoiler, everything was properly tagged. (I should not have made those spoilers to begin with, but that’s life).

By the way, don’t freak out at the lack of discussion. About half the threads are empty, and then you have places jumping to 60+ posts…

3 Likes