DanMachi Book Club Home Thread

Well, I finished the first volume.

Thoughts, mostly spoiler-free

I did like the book well enough (let’s say 6~7 out of 10), which puts the series in the “will read if available for free” range. And it is (from my local library), so I will probably keep going for a few more volumes.
As a fan of classic JRPG, I did like the way stats were dealt with. In particular, I like seeing them increase… and boy do they increase. Many classic monsters with equally classic naming schemes… which really makes no sense in the context. I assume the gods probably named them too. In fact, for a while I thought the “gods” were just players of a fully immersive MMORPG (think SAO) with the “children” being AI driven NPC… but (actual spoiler) they seem to be legit mythology gods.

My major concern when picking up this book was the presence of fan service. Not being part of the target audience, I was afraid it would get annoying, especially concerning (what I thought would be) the theme of the book. Well, the illustrations (especially the color ones) are the worst offenders, but can be easily ignored. The text has some too the most facepalm-y ones being the sound effects being added to Hestia’s breasts… like… why…, but overall remains relatively tame.

I did like the fact that the main character is considered good-looking, rather than the usual harem trope of having a sub-average loser somehow getting all the girls. At least, if he can make a goddess fall head over heels at first sight, it makes some sense that he would gather attention. Not from other guys, though, although he does “admit” to himself that another dude is good-looking, so mayyyyybeeeee? (But I’m not going to hold my breath)

Alright, that’s it for now. I might lurk a bit in the threads and see what people think.

3 Likes

Im glad you decided to read it!

I also enjoyed the stats in this series, and the gods are indeed real mythology gods and the “children” are just normal humans.

1 Like

Week 4 thread now up!

2 Likes

Started week 5!

1 Like

Week 6!

2 Likes

Week 7 thread

4 Likes

Just want to mention if anyone has been stuck at home with some extra free time, you can still pick up danmachi and join us if you’d like! We arent that far and you can always read ahead.

2 Likes

Head on over to week 8! (Now 20 pages/week)

1 Like

Week 9, now at 30 pages p/w

2 Likes

:crabigator: Week 10 :crabigator:

1 Like

Week 11!

2 Likes

Now on Week 12

2 Likes

Week 13 thread

2 Likes

Week 14 is up

4 Likes

Last week of volume 1

2 Likes

Polls to decide on volume two schedule!

How should we continue volume two?

• Weekly schedules
  • One thread per book
  • Not participating

0 voters

When should we start volume 2? (Only matters if we go by weekly schedule)

• 1 week break
  • More than 1 week break
  • No break
  • Not participating

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m fine with everything but I like clicking polls…

4 Likes

Ok so not many votes but with majority I guess we can take a one week break and start off volume 2 with weekly schedules, if everyones ok with that.

What speed should we read volume two at?

• Current 30 pages/week
  • 40 pages/week
  • 20 pages/week
  • Other (let me know)

0 voters

2 Likes

I will be making the volume 2 week 1 thread on may 31st, a week after finishing week 15.
Now how about a poll, what kind of copy did you read for volume 1:

• Physical
  • Ebook

0 voters

Also do you already have volume 2:

• Yes
  • No
  • More than volume 2

0 voters

2 Likes

Volume 2 starts now! :open_book:
(I updated the floflo link to the one for the second volume, if anyone is going to use it)

3 Likes