Daisoujou's Study Log - šŸ¤·

Log out and back in, and itā€™ll correct itself. Thereā€™s some technical reason for this ā€œbugā€. Since the forums are hosted by Discourse (the group that writes/maintains the software), WaniKani staff is probably has their hands tied on getting it to update when your level actually changes.

Oh, good to know. Iā€™ve coincidentally never noticed it properly catching up or lagging by more than one level, so it never occurred to me that it might not be intended.

Yup, that did it, level 7 for real just in time to stop being level 7 tomorrow.

Me on a daily basis: ā€œDo I immerse more Japanese, or get to more English language media I want to read/listen to/watch???ā€

Oh absolutely. And now my sort of related dilemma is, as Japanese language content comes around that Iā€™m interested in, do I stick with the translation to relax and enjoy it much sooner, or save it for when itā€™s useful immersion material and I can experience it in its original form? Have usually leaned towards the latter so far because things Iā€™m excited about will only be even more motivating, but I might be a long ways off from some of them. Like, Iā€™m a big Yakuza games and related series fan, and Iā€™m closely eying Lost Judgmentā€¦ but thatā€™s going to take longer than the 2 months until its release to be not frustrating, heh.

Iā€™m not experienced enough to say, but I feel a show like Terrance House is like a final boss in a video game. (Not to be confused with the secret boss thatā€™s more difficult than the final boss, Classical Japanese.)

It gets brought up a lot as good learner material so I think I was lulled into a false impression that it would be easy, but Iā€™m realizing the better way of considering it is likely that itā€™s too casual and off-the-cuff to be anything but difficult, but persevering through that when youā€™re ready is recommended because itā€™s loads of exposure to natural conversation. Itā€™s not easy, itā€™sā€¦ hard but practical.

The main plus is probably furthering your ability to recognize how Japanese sounds. Initially, itā€™s just knowing how syllables sounds (especially the vowel portion), so that you can read it ā€œproperlyā€. But then once you start learning words and hearing them, youā€™ll start to hear specifically how each word sounds. Then eventually you are able to catch things like how 恂悁 (candy) and 恂悁 (rain) sound different.

Thatā€™ll be great to keep in mind. I often only pick out isolated words, but I love to punch above my weight when it comes to video/listening content.

I see ć‚¢ć‚Ŗćƒćƒ©ć‚¤ćƒ‰!

Fantastic! I had no idea that was read in a book club. Huge thanks; thatā€™ll be a helpful reference.

2 Likes