Daisoujou's Study Log - šŸ¤·

@bakugames That is cool to know about, thank you! Iā€™m definitely curious. The visual style is cute, too. Might be exactly what Iā€™m looking for to get that actual experiential use to make them make more sense.

Yeah, that approach is fair enough. I just get bothered by how many of them are 恙悋 verbs and the like, so there are conceivably situations where theyā€™re really the crux of whatā€™s being said, and not just flavoring like any English onomatopoeia. And it seems thereā€™s kind of an expectation for Japanese learners to struggle with them, which at least means Iā€™m not being uniquely bad at this, but at the same time, I think that gives me a bit of a desire to make sure Iā€™m not just letting them pass me by.

I think ć‚†ć£ćć‚Š is so common that most everyone learning Japanese gets that down early, but thereā€™s a comprehensible japanese video for the Tortoise and the Hare that I watched early on where she repeats that word a few times to indicate the tortoise moving, and really stretches and elongates it to emphasize what the sound represents. From that moment, that word I kinda sorta had a tenuous grasp on just clicked perfectly in my head, so I was hoping maybe when I get the chance to dig around, I could find some similar examples of someone using them that helps lock them in.

2 Likes

I try not to flood this topic too much, but today I just have one short, celebratory update. Thought about skipping it, but these two things occurred together, so letā€™s party:

Today I had my first burns on Wanikani, and in my sentence mining Anki deck, I added my 1000th card. Iā€™m giving it my all :partying_face:

8 Likes

And just like that, as a whim grabbed me, I think Iā€™ve changed my plans. Itā€™s good to follow whims I think. As long as youā€™re still learning, do whatever it is you want.

So the other day, I somehow stumbled upon a video of the (remake of the) original Ace Attorney trilogy. What I was really struck by is just how small the text boxes are / how large the font is. No doubt thatā€™s due to their origin as GBA games. Regardless, this leads to short sentences, so I got curious, and thereā€™s a Steam sale right now. Having started a little earlier today, Iā€™m only a little ways into the first trail, but this isā€¦ kind of simple. Feels weird to say that. Sure Iā€™m still looking loads of things up (texthooking appears impossible but Game2Text, if I tolerate some jankiness, works just well enough to be worth the trouble), but many of those are both words I shouldnā€™t expect to know and also will see many more times, like murder weapon, blunt object, prosecutorā€™s side, courtroom etc. I even get the joke with Yahari (Larry Butz).

So, I mined some words along the way, and Iā€™m about to go play more. Iā€™m sure some difficulties will arise ā€“ some entries in the court record are a little more troublesome, and I know there will be witnesses with tougher speaking styles, but I expected to claw my way through inch by inch, and instead found that Iā€™m essentially properly reading, just with a dictionary close at hand. Helps that I know this game well, too; I adore the series. So, I guess this is how Iā€™m going to primarily study for now, and Iā€™ll kick Satori Reader out a little early. Couldnā€™t be happier about my progress.

6 Likes

Jumping on something on a whim is how I ended up learning Japanese, joining the ABBC, and most recently reading 恋恌ćæć®å­¤åŸŽ, so I definitely think it can be incredibly useful to follow them. Itā€™s hard to judge when youā€™re actually ready to move to something that you think is more difficult so just trying it is probably the best way to find out and make sure youā€™re not just sticking to things that are too easy

I definitely need to give the Ace Attorney games a go at some point - theyā€™ve been sitting on my Steam wishlist for ages now, but thereā€™s so many other games to get to too. Maybe Iā€™ll get them at some point to play in Japanese. Another game series I want to try in a somewhat similar vein is Zero Escape - especially because I enjoyed Danganronpa when I played those (in English). Those I do have sitting around my Steam library, though I imagine theyā€™d be hard in Japanese for me at the moment. Guess thereā€™s only one way to really find out haha

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I highly recommend all of that. If youā€™ve never played Ace Attorney, youā€™re in for an excellent time. I still never got around to playing the one unreleased in English (Investigations 2) with the fan translation, so Iā€™m really excited to give that a go some day! That one aside, and not counting the Great Ace Attorney cause Iā€™m still working through it (in English, since my fiancĆ©e wants to read it alongside me), the original trilogy are the best ones, anyway. Ace Attorney was kind of my introduction to the whole visual novel concept, back when translating it to English was a bit of a novel experiment, and I had to go get a copy with a messed up case on Ebay because they didnā€™t distribute the original game too widely in America. I really love revisiting those days in a different way, now.

Zero Escape is also excellent. Those games go really wild with the twists, sometimes just ramping the absurdity as hard as they possible can, but theyā€™re great fun.

Personally, Danganronpa is my favorite of any of these series; itā€™s one of my favorite game series period and Iā€™m definitely going to try it sometime in its original language, but I didnā€™t want to deal with Japanese words rotating and zooming around during the trails yet, haha. Or Japanese word games, however those work.

If you try either series, Iā€™m very excited to hear how it goes, both on the language front but also learning what you think about them. You have a lot ahead of you that Iā€™d love to be able to experience for the first time like that.

2 Likes

You know, Iā€™ve always wanted to try playing a game in Japanese. Not sure why probably the spending money part I have yet to do so, but it definitely seems like something I could get some use out of. Especially like a VN type thing? Yeah.

Canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever had much interest in Ace Attorney, but I have to admit, your progress definitely makes the idea intriguingā€¦ especially if thereā€™s a saleā€¦ :eyes:

Studying Japanese is currently on the backburner for me for at least another week or so, but every time I see a post from you I just want to jump back into it. :joy: Iā€™m glad you could find something both interesting and helpful for yourself!

3 Likes

I think everyone, after theyā€™ve comfortable with reading easier materials, should try out something in Japanese that theyā€™ve read (played) in English before. For me, it was the Saint Tail manga (which Iā€™d read in English, and seen the anime with English subtitles). Even if itā€™s been a while since you read the material, having that knowledge of whatā€™s going on allows you to relax trying to figure out context, and focus your attention on the words. Chances are itā€™ll be easier to pick up on what some words mean.

Now if only Steam had Japanese versions for Clannad and Little Busters. I do have the former on Switch, but no text hooking there, soā€¦

2 Likes

Theyā€™re such good, silly fun! Very strong comedy writing for videogames, and the mysteries are interesting (after the first couple overly simple ones). They arenā€™t the kind where you wonder who did it most times, but the ā€œhowā€ is always very elusive and contrived in the best ways. The trilogy is currently something like $20US, but thatā€™s a great deal for 3 games of pretty significant length. Language is just a menu option, so thatā€™s nice. Highly recommend it, but Iā€™ve been a fan for more than a decade so Iā€™m pretty biased here, haha. Still, the lines are short, and with your kanji knowledge being beyond mine, I bet youā€™d do really well. Hope you find the time to get back into studying as much as youā€™d like soon! Iā€™m always looking forward to seeing your progress; I deeply appreciated the encouragement when I needed it.

If you do want to seriously consider it, always good to take a little peek at the writing first.

It appears Clannad is indeed English only, but I have a bit of good news! Little Busters really is available in Japanese, despite being the one labelled ā€œEnglish Edition.ā€ In fact, the language can be swapped with a single key press, and in quick tests, the Steam version I have seemed to behave well with text hooking, too!

4 Likes

Well, I know what Iā€™ll be playing at some point.

I currently canā€™t launch it in Linux, and if I run it in a virtualized Windows environment, the game starts without a window, making it unplayable. (But since it was still running, Steam thought I played it past the refund limit. This is from when I bought it a year or two ago.)

Iā€™ll be building a new computer this week (my current one I built ā€¦maybe 2010?), and I expect Little Busters to absolutely be playable on it, whether under Linux or virtualized Windows. (I hope.)

2 Likes

Oho, youā€™re on Linux? Cool. Wish I could fully switch over my computer to Linux as a main OS but Oculus doesnā€™t support it :frowning:

2 Likes
Avoiding becoming Daisoujou's operating system log

Linux got me as a convert (thanks to my older brother) back around 2001 or so. Coming from Windows 98 and its constant crashes with every little thing, it wasnā€™t too hard to convert me!

My only use for Windows at home recently were 1) remoting in to work from home, which is no longer necessary since Citrix released a Linux client, and 2) removing DRM from my manga purchases so I can read them right from Linux. (Iā€™d add some computer games such as Little Busters! if they would run on my setup, but alasā€¦)

I do use Windows for work (XP, then 7, and now 10), and itā€™s definitely improved massively in the past 20 years!

2 Likes

Just do it!!! Also listen to native content even if there is some ambuigity dont be shy

3 Likes

There was a time, many years ago, when I was getting fed up with stuff you have to deal with from Windows and decided to try Linuxā€¦ that didnā€™t last long, haha. Conceptually I like Linux but itā€™s too much work for me and I have too much of a desire for my computer to be able to play games or run specific programs that arenā€™t available on Linux, though I suppose the game situation has been getting better recently. Itā€™s just exemplified in how it recently occurred to me that the only reason I know about any of my friends using Linux, is exclusively from instances of them telling me what they cannot do because theyā€™re on it, haha.

1 Like

I use Linux on my laptop for university work (I am a computer science student after all) and for the purposes of programming etc, itā€™s pretty much a dream - way nicer environment to do that sort of thing than Windows in my opinion. Setting up a Japanese IME on it took a bit of work though, moreso than Windows which mostly just worked with relatively little setup. Now that I have that working though there arenā€™t really any major issues

Though that said thereā€™s not really much reason to switch over from Windows if youā€™re not that bothered about doing more computer-science related things most likely. Windows is going to be more compatible and more supported as a whole for a variety of reasons, and as such itā€™s still a better system for people who need specific software (though like you say, the games thing is getting better with things like Proton)

2 Likes

Yep, that makes sense. I know nothing at all about computer science; Iā€™m really not in the niche to need or get a whole lot out of Linux. I canā€™t recall what it was in particular, I just know the only reason I ever looked that way was irritation at the things Windows forces on you or tries to prevent you from doing. The kind of stuff most people never think about, but I get neurotic enough to want to change. Hell, Iā€™m still stubborn about UIs; Iā€™ve been using classic shell for several versions of Windows now so that I donā€™t have to feel as much like Iā€™m using, say, 10 :wink:

1 Like

This is, primarily, a few early reflections on Ace Attorney. Another rather soon update by my standards, but hey, the change in my routine has me particularly excited again.

Iā€™m currently very early in case 2, when you first meet with the defendant in the holding cells. The first game starts with a very short trial, and Iā€™ve logged 8 hours (though Iā€™m not staying 100% right there doing it every moment of that time for sure), so that does mean Iā€™m moving quite slowly! But at the same time, itā€™s not a real indication of reading speed because Iā€™m taking this very intensively and also mining words, going off on tangents to look up when/if Wanikani teaches me new kanji, etc. What Iā€™ve noticed is that the vast majority of kanji I donā€™t know are coming up in the late 20s or early 30s. I donā€™t actually think Iā€™ve noticed one used in Ace Attorney yet that WK doesnā€™t teach, but the game does seem to favor writing a lot of words out in katakana that could have been kanji (and not even supposedly ā€œusually kanaā€ words).

From a learning perspective, wow, this game is fantastic for my level so far. There are a bunch of sentences where I donā€™t know a word or two, but because theyā€™re delivered in such bite sized chunks, that actually just means itā€™s perfect for finding those i+1 moments (could do with a little less trailing off between multiple text boxes, but it isnā€™t SO bad). It does not take me long at all to create 20 or 30 cards and go ā€œok I really should stop now.ā€ The amount of sentences that I just havenā€™t been able to figure out are very small, too. There are a couple where I couldnā€™t quite work out how some part was reaching the overall meaning (which has virtually always been very clear, though I have to repeat Iā€™m pretty familiar with this game so maybe that helps), but theyā€™re such exceptions rather than the rule.

Itā€™s also, with the overall relaxed difficulty, given me a little time to sit back and appreciate the nuances more. Every character has pretty distinct quirks so far. Naruhodo (Phoenix) uses a lot of the masculine enders like 恞 in his thoughts, but they donā€™t tend to make it out to his speech thus far. The shift in the first criminalā€™s speech patterns was fun, going from pretty thick honorific language to slurred, rude accusations and commands really suddenly. Havenā€™t had enough time with Gumshoe (forget his Japanese name) and Mayoi (Maya) yet but Iā€™ve seen little things like Gumshoe using the ć£ć™ ender a lot where no one else has. There are so many interesting little shortcuts to distinct speech styles in Japanese.

It also lets me compare the original to the translation, which is fun. ā€œLarry Butzā€ was always a name I slightly rolled my eyes atā€¦ I mean, they make a joke out of mistaking his name for ā€œHarry Butz,ā€ and that quote they repeat is ā€œwhen something smells, itā€™s usually the Butz.ā€ It was a littleā€¦ strangely close to toilet humor for a series that doesnā€™t do that? So it turns out in Japanese his name is Masashi Yahari, and the joke is just calling him ć‚„ć£ć±ć‚Š instead. The aforementioned quote was 怌äŗ‹ä»¶ć®ć‹ć’恫,ć‚„ć£ć±ć‚Šć‚„ćÆ悊怍which I just really like the sound of. Itā€™s clever and flows nicely. That said, I get where the translators were coming from, and how hard this would be to deal with, so while the actual result isnā€™t quite to my taste, I think this is a decent bit of cleverness to find a name that still works for both jokes, in some way. For a point in the translationā€™s favor, I always thought Winston Payne was a very clever pun, and didnā€™t immediately notice it (winced in pain). In Japanese this man is just named Auchi lmao.

Anyway, Japanese is fun, Ace Attorney is fun, things are good. Highly recommend it for anyone else in this sorta low intermediate zone looking for real native material that will prove they actually have learned quite a bit, haha.

6 Likes

At first I read this as ć€Œć‚ć†ć” ć„ć¾ćŠć€.

3 Likes

Running a scientific experiment on why romaji is bad. Thank you for joining; Iā€™ll get those retroactive consent forms to you later.

3 Likes

Haha, since Iā€™ve started learning Japanese Iā€™ve come to just really dislike seeing Japanese written in romaji - it just doesnā€™t feel right anymore. Before, it was fine because I just knew bits and pieces from osmosis, but now itā€™s justā€¦ wrong to my eyes

3 Likes

Another faster than usual update, because Iā€™m too stubborn to commit to resting yet, but too mentally foggy to actually study.

A little bit of pandemic talk here, it's relevant to my situation and studying, but I want to give a warning if you're not in the mood for that

So, today I had my covid booster. Long story short, despite almost excessive precautions, my fiancĆ©e and I got sick a year and a few months ago. And we stayed sick, for ages. Iā€™m finally almost comfortable saying I donā€™t noticeably suffer from long covid anymore, but I still have this bizarre complete intolerance to even small amounts of alcohol. If you search around, itā€™s not exactly common, but itā€™s not unheard of for people who had the illness.

That said, the first two doses (Moderna) really re-triggered symptoms we were starting to get over and felt like they dragged out the whole ordeal significantly. So although everyone definitely needs to be vaccinated and Iā€™m still glad I did itā€¦ I was trying to put off the booster a little because we have unusually strong reactions, probably as a result of long covid stuff. But with a new variant, I guess we need to do it, and do it we did (well, after first having a guy at CVS cancel my appointment because I donā€™t have insurance and claim that I couldnā€™t get the vaccine because of thatā€¦ letā€™s not get started on US healthcare talk lol).

Anyway, the tiredness hit me very fast, and Iā€™m hoping I donā€™t have to slow down my excellent Japanese learning momentum too much, because excepting this, things are all good! But for now, Iā€™m too tired to study much. Hereā€™s hoping for a milder timeā€¦

I think Iā€™m half writing this update to distract my mind with something that isnā€™t as mentally demanding, heh. So letā€™s turn a little more positive now ā€“ any of you still reading out there, I have a question: is there something Japanese-only in particular that you really want to be able to read/watch/interact with? I mean, even just seeing stuff in its real original form is worth it, but I imagine for most of us thereā€™s something otherwise totally unattainable. And recognizing those things that youā€™re excited to do is an excellent motivator. So tell me about yours!

For me, thereā€™s kind of a lot, but I think #1 is Denpa genre stuff, particularly in visual novels. For anyone unfamiliar, with a decent chunk of time to kill, this article is a fascinating primer. The short of it, is that é›»ę³¢ is a word you might have learned by now on Wanikani, meaning ā€œradio waves.ā€ That article gets into why and where it comes from, but whatā€™s important is that its a niche subgenre in a subgenre, pieces of horror or otherwise existential dread, usually centered around people suddenly being influenced by outside forces (like radio waves) to start acting bizarre and unpredictable. It explores a lot of anxieties about alienation in modern society. Something about it is just entirely my thing, something I find both compelling to experience and often quite deep to write or think about, and I would love to have more. But because itā€™s so niche, much of it exists in Japanese only. In particular, thereā€™s a visual novel called 恕悈ćŖć‚‰ć‚’ę•™ćˆć¦ļ½žcomment te dire adieuļ½ž ā€“ I must admit I know next to nothing about it, but I know itā€™s usually well-regarded as a piece of denpa fiction, and it is completely out of my grasp in English. So, canā€™t wait to try that out.

Am I rambling yet? I dunno, Iā€™m a little loopy right now. Stay safe, everyone, and letā€™s chat about goals if you have the time <3

8 Likes