Daisoujou's Study Log - šŸ¤·

It was just a little but I tried again with a later part and hadā€¦ better luck sort of! A lot more possible options but unfortunately most of them have only the line I searched for, or that plus a bit of garbage (yes this is after advancing to the next line). The one thing that is halfway there cut off a bit of the line I searched for, then in the next line has only the second half of it. It seems like theyā€™re getting split weirdly and I canā€™t find a result that actually has everything.

Ehh well Iā€™m really not concerned about reading the script there; itā€™s been easy. Itā€™s just those files I grapple with for several minutes at a time. I unlocked 4 at once and groaned but Iā€™ve made it to the other side haha. They are unfortunately pretty disruptive to reading whatā€™s going on. Maybe theyā€™ll get a bit less frequent soon.

3 Likes

Kind of off-topic from Japanese but Pathologic is a fantastic game. Havenā€™t played 2 myself, and still needing to go back and play the other 2 campaigns in Pathologic HD at some point, but playing through it was a real Experience. Also played it just as covid was beginning so uh, that was fun lol

3 Likes

You know, I admittedly only dipped my toes into the first, and that was after having played 2. 2 is as much a remake as a sequel (within the game world the ā€œplayā€ that was Pathologic 1 failed and you are now putting it on again). A lot of the same ideas are there but it seemed like 1 didnā€™t quite have some of the systems that make 2 so good (and stressful heh), and the jank to deal with was much higher. Not that 2 doesnā€™t have its jank, heh.

You know, I can talk about whatever I want here, let's give the pretentious description of why I love my favorite game of all time: Pathologic 2

So Pathologic 2 is a (small) open world game set in an isolated town when a mysterious plague hits. Whatā€™s funny is itā€™s full of things I donā€™t generally like in games ā€“ time spent traversing the town back and forth and survival meters (food/water/sickness). But everything works together because of how interconnected the systems are. Essentially, there is not enough time to do everything. Some objectives might even have a negative outcome or just accomplish nothing. Other times they might be important to keep NPCs alive, all that is up to your judgment. And in this game basically any significant NPC can die, potentially cutting off chunks of the story from you later. Once the plague starts all the NPCs start getting infected and youā€™re expected to manage your time running around the town administering medicine to not lose story NPCs, against completing objectives, against doing what you need to keep yourself alive. And all those supplies to heal others are the same things you need to prevent yourself from dying. The way the systems come together creates hard decision points constantly about what you can afford to lose. Then since thereā€™s an element of permanence (you get small permanent handicaps every time you die, which was definitely controversial but I like it here), the risk/reward calculations have to be taken seriously.

Iā€™ll spare gushing forever but thatā€™s how the core of the gameplay works and what makes it compelling. Itā€™s not so much fun asā€¦ constantly high stress haha. Itā€™s also just some of the smartest writing Iā€™ve ever seen in a videogame, proper ā€œartā€ stuff. Like the interlocking relationships between the characters and their place in the town goes truly interesting places (colonialism is pretty core to the way the town worksā€¦), and ultimately I felt like it was a really touching story about continuing to try against the inevitability of death and failure, on top of a whole lot of other things. Iā€™ve never found another game that I think is truly on its level as this sort of uncompromising piece of artā€¦ but along with that does come a lot of people bouncing right off of it.

5 Likes

Slow going recently. Been posting about Paranormasight in the read every day thread but I wish I could move through it faster. Just varies based on the material if slowing down for Japanese is a big deal or not. Reading Tears of the Kingdom has been going fine enough; itā€™s not a serious impedimentā€¦ but I kind of, uhh, donā€™t like the game at all? Some of this post is just an excuse to get my thoughts out there without using the videogame thread because generally showing up where people are excited about a game to complain isnā€™t super appreciated and Iā€™m not looking to get into game arguments. Just kinda collecting my thoughts, because thus far Iā€™m really disappointed for how much I was looking forward to it. Maybe Iā€™m a grumpy old man. My lowered interest is genuinely making going through the effort of the Japanese reading a little harder though, so thereā€™s that.

Tears of the Kingdom

I gotta preface this by saying the way the game works is a bit of a miracle, the way it runs and is bug free while allowing for free movement of practically everything, the ability to reset things to their previous placement, all of these systems working togetherā€¦ itā€™s a lot. The core systems are wild. And I see where the fun lies for others in being able to break the game open the way you can. But itā€™s a lot more fun for me to look at Twitter clips than play the game and Iā€™m sort of already bored with it.

Part of that is just on me; Iā€™m not that into sandboxes and custom creations. Iā€™m trying to engage with the building but mostly finding for me itā€™s just placing some wheels and a fan or a rocket on a big platform and then riding it. The build controls are a little finnicky and slow so thatā€™s mostly done where I really need to go vertical, or I just ride a thing and make up the time I spent making it heh. Everythingā€™s a little finnicky ā€“ going through a giant menu you can only scroll one at a time to add items to arrows or weapons is starting to be a thing I dread.

As much as I appreciate the commitment to letting you deal with things in virtually infinite ways, in practice having 10 methods in mind that I can trivialize reaching a place feels like it takes away from my interest. Itā€™s just too much power. And the world is too familiar. It really does feel like Iā€™m just replaying BOTW again, but with mods installed, the sort of mods where I can do ridiculous things. but because I can do anything, it feels like carefully designed challenges or situations just cease to exist. Meanwhile sky islands are a little plain and small and the underground area felt monotonous almost immediately. I eventually found one quest there but it seems like enormous spaces with nothing but enemy camps and all one singular aesthetic.

Maybe the worst part for me so far are the shrines. Iā€™ve done a couple dozen roughly and I think Iā€™d say 2 contained puzzles. The vast majority want to be tutorials for things these new systems let you do. Take the last shrine I completed: you fight an enemy with a flamethrower on his shield, then use that to melt an ice block. The next enemy has a shield that blocks fire, and you use that to walk through some fire. Then you get a room with rockets and shields, so you attach a rocket and fly upwards. Shrine over. Thatā€™s just going through the motions.

I dunno, Iā€™m just finding it exceedingly hard to care, and I wish I wasnā€™t! Itā€™s not a bad game. I have to imagine Iā€™d like it more if I hadnā€™t played BOTW. I donā€™t think Iā€™m the kind of person this is for, though.

9 Likes

I havenā€™t bought it yet, and ignoring my technical qualms I have to ask if paying $70 for more BotW is really worth it to me. I loved BotW and it was a refreshing experience after the Zelda series had gotten pretty formulaic, but thereā€™s a reason why critical takes on the game have gotten so popular after the hype (and fanboys) cooled off. It was a fairly bare bones sandbox, but replacing it with a bigger sandbox that has a few more toys doesnā€™t fundamentally change things. The novelty of playing in the sand the first time is gone.

Honestly, Iā€™m not all that great at or interested in making sand castles. I do love seeing the ones other people make though. Thereā€™s probably a lot of us that feel that way.

edit: you literally said this isnā€™t the video game thread and I still made that mistake. dā€™oh

5 Likes

Yeah BOTW had some significant shortcomings; it just focused in so hard on doing certain things well and I really liked how that turned out. But that feeling of brand new discovery played a huge part; Iā€™ve never replayed the game because it feels like it wouldnā€™t be the same. Itā€™s not like they havenā€™t made efforts to change the world here, but it doesnā€™t change the fact that it is still the same world. I think for me, a brand new world focused much more on density of interesting things even with very few new gameplay elements would appeal more than this gameā€™s way of kinda taking the opposite approach. I get why others like this way though. Itā€™s fine. Though there is a trend of franchises I love making popularly extremely well regarded games with open worlds that I end up disappointed in. AAA type games are moving in directions I just donā€™t prefer, but at least I have indies.

Itā€™s been actually really interesting to me how I never particularly minded weapon durability, and now that you can fuse to weapons the common take is that this extends their durability and whatnot so the system is less intrusive than ever! Whereas for my side, in order to make a weapon useful, you absolutely have to fuse itā€¦ so Iā€™m finding the weapon durability finally detracts from my experience because you have to put at least a little actual effort into everything you want to use.

Itā€™s an obviously well designed game so Iā€™m downplaying the positives a little because Iā€™ve been disgruntled, but hey, canā€™t please everyone. Games just take so long to make now so it kinda sucks when the big ones donā€™t land for you, but ä»•ę–¹ćŖ恄. Itā€™s a good sign when a study log can successfully fool people into thinking itā€™s a different thread not at all about Japanese, right? Daisoujouā€™s Random Nonsense Log

7 Likes

Tbh those are the best kinds of study logs. Personally I love tricking people into learning about my fave wrestling stories :smiling_imp:.

In all honesty, I think study logs allow for more measured and reasonable discourse on complicated subjects because the only people who visit them are people who care about your personal opinions on things, haha, so itā€™s way less confrontational than bringing up the same topics in actual dedicated threads.

8 Likes

Iā€™m so sad youā€™re not liking TotK that much. In that way that we want people to genuinely enjoy the same things we do, and wishing we could impart the way we feel about something to another. Basically I wish you could be having as much fun playing TotK as I have, not because I think you need to like TotK but because I want others to have as much fun as I am having.

But every game isnā€™t for everyone, so sad to hear this is turning into a dud for you. I was honestly afraid it would feel too much like same old, same old for me too, but so far it hasnā€™t for me. Peppar, peppar, ta i trƤ. (One of those short charms to ward off something bad you just said. Translation: pepper, pepper, touch wood. (Pepper of the salt and pepper variety, not bell peppers (paprika in Swedish) or chili peppers (chili in Swedish).))

Yeah, hard agree.

6 Likes

Yeah I think thatā€™s a good way to put it! Overall itā€™s not like itā€™s something I really felt the need to discuss too much with others cause videogame arguments are silly and the other alternative is people trying to suggest how to enjoy it more and while the intent is appreciated, I think Iā€™ve introspected about it enough to get where the appeal lies and where Iā€™m not matching up. But it helps to get thoughts out there.

Thank you! Iā€™m still giving it a shot anyway. I did like the tutorial island quite a bit when everything felt new and exciting (and particularly curated). I just did my first dungeon and the dungeon itself felt a little too much like the divine beasts, which were always my least favorite part of BotW ā€“ but both the journey to reach it and the boss were pretty cool. So Iā€™m finding bits of joy where I can. Still hoping it can hook me a little better if I try to work with it. Learning that phrase was interesting too! Itā€™s like ā€œknock on woodā€ ā€“ apparently thereā€™s something about wood.

I donā€™t feel like cluttering the VN thread more right now so Iā€™m just gonna ask while Iā€™m here ā€“ @AzusaChan I remember briefly talking about Fata Morgana before and I think you implied you had read it? Iā€™m starting to really get in the mood for a Japanese reread of that; itā€™s been quite a while for me and it was so good. Plus I never read that after story thing, though for the club purposes it seems a little too long by our current guidelines. So I think itā€™s a no-go regardless for a main pick just now, would have to be something more like 30k per week to fit into the amount of weeks listed ā€“ but also I know you just sat out of 999 because you had read it too recently and I donā€™t want to keep having that happen to you haha. I did at least check and it seems perfectly texthookable, and Iā€™m not sold on it being SO hard (jpdbā€™s 7/10). The average sentence length is hardly worse than the stuff weā€™re reading now and I scanned through some of the maidā€™s dialog and the writing through the first door and it looked fine. I think it just uses somewhat obscure kanji, but texthooking really eliminates that problem.

6 Likes

Yeah, I actually read that one even more recently than I have 999 :sweat_smile: It was like one of the last VNs I read in English back in late 2021 before I got back into studying jp. I do love the series a lot though, its near the top of my favorite VNs. The sequel is really good too and even has voice acting, I wish they would have done a ā€œremasterā€ and voiced the original game too.
But yeah, while I do love the game a ton, Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d want to reread it right now. Iā€™m not against the idea of rereading stuff but I like to wait until I forget a bunch of stuff about the game before I reread it :joy:

I am always iffy on jpdbā€™s ratings too but I think majority of stuff Iā€™ve read has been rated 5 or lower on there. I did try to read some stuff rated as a 6 though and did notice a huge increase in difficulty. Hard to say if there is actually a noticeable spike at 6+ or if it was just the games I tried and had to put down for later.

Thatā€™s no problem! Of course Iā€™d like to read new stuff with the club but these are great games so it is nice seeing other people trying them out. If people were fine with the length I think itā€™d be a good nomination to potentially test out how people fare with more difficult VNs since the ones weā€™ve read (or Iā€™ve participated in at least) have been on the easier side. Plus the Fata series is amazing, I think everyone would love it.

4 Likes

Right, knock on wood. I should have remembered that and referenced that. :joy: Ah well, brain doesnā€™t always brain well.

I kinda get what you mean about the dungeon, Iā€™ve also only done one. The one I did felt better than the divine beasts, but I agree on the similarity. And I definitely know for myself when it comes to TotK (and BotW), I have to make sure to do enough main story content to feel like Iā€™m making progress. So those people who manage to go do all the side things, ignoring main story for a long time, nope, not one of them.

Ah, how to make this next comment as spoiler free as possible. If you just finished the dungeon and stopped right after, you might want to revisit certain places because at least after this first one, things actually progress and things change/new things start. I guess the benefit of not letting you run at Ganon from the moment you get out of the tutorial area. (Still not naming specifics, but donā€™t know where you at and would feel even about vague spoilers.)

Anyway, you probably played some more so maybe youā€™d already noticed, but I thought it worth mentioning in case. It certainly makes it more exciting to progress the main story too.

I might have to do some TotK gushing/talking/speculating on Sunday when I update my own log, just so I can get some of it out of my system. :joy:

4 Likes

Itā€™s one of those things where I think it would be interesting to see them partner up with learn natively or something. The way they get those numbers is a bit interesting: Frequently asked questions ā€“ jpdb

Iā€™m still fairly skeptical, for instance can this model comprehend puns? How does it balance out things like narrative and dialogue? What about normies and chuuni characters? Regardless it sounds cool on paper and Dies Irae is apparently 9/10 difficulty so itā€™s probably at least somewhat reasonable.

Edit: I should also point out that the data they use is based on ripped game scripts from what Iā€™ve seen. This would cause a problem where games might say, use an ancient font (instant infinitely high hurdle for me) or have text embedded in images that could drastically alter perceived difficulty by users where the script itself might be high approachable.

5 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m still throwing it around in my mind ā€“ weā€™ll see, something to push off a little later anyway. You essentially contributed to the founding of the whole club so I donā€™t want you left out TOO often though! I do want to get the club reading a really incredible VN sometime, just seems like the ones that come to mind for me keep being too long or having sexual content or something. I mean for some people thatā€™ll be 999 but I think Iā€™ve been cooling on that one over time. Itā€™s still quite good, but it was really novel to me when I read it (one of my first VNs and I read it much closer to when it came out), and now that sort of stuff is a little well worn and less impressive. Still respect it though.

I did always love the dungeon design so that part was a bit disappointing to lose even in BOTW. Iā€™m hoping we get another 2D Zelda someday. The one I did was around the Rito village, decided Iā€™d listen to the way the game clearly wanted me to start by going that way. Wonā€™t say too much about it in case thatā€™s not the one you did, but yeah. It was nice.

Glad youā€™ve been enjoying the game so much! Iā€™m looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

Yeah this system is really interesting but I just havenā€™t read enough to have any grasp on how accurate I think it is. Iā€™ve capped out at reading 5s so maybe looking at a 7 is me pushing myself harder than I think, who knows. I do think I trust human rating based difficulties more, but itā€™s always going to be hard to determine for so many reasons. Often language progress is nearly invisible and some of the stuff that was hardest for me to read was some of the easiest material. And itā€™s so hard to weight what parts of difficulty matter. The existence of a tool like texthooker warps difficulty discussion so hard ā€“ something that uses a ton of unusual words and kanji is one sense rather hard to read, but if we presume tools are on hand, thatā€™s a pretty tiny contributor compared to complicated sentence structure or something. All this is just making me even more curious about Fata Morgana because it just didnā€™t look all that hard to me and the stats about it donā€™t seem bad on their face. It has some extreme setting changes; maybe there are spikes? Who knows.

5 Likes

I do agree that having texthook makes it significantly easier when reading things with uncommon words/kanji but I do think if there are too many unknown words it does add a lot to the difficulty even with having yomichan on hand. I think I mentioned it a few times before but when I tried to play Ever Maiden, I never seen so much furigana in a VN before since that game used a lot of rare kanji. Having to look up like 6 words or something in a sentence compared to just a couple can increase the difficulty a lot for me even with yomichan since I have to try and juggle all the new meanings in my brain at once while comprehending the grammar etc.

I struggle with narrative sections a lot more than dialogue as well and that VNā€™s narrative sections felt a lot more novel-like and ā€œfloweryā€. Most of the prose in the VNs weā€™ve read in the club so far have been very straight forward and repetitive. It would be interesting to read something that jpdb considers more ā€œdifficultā€ in our club though just to see what everyone thinks

4 Likes

That is the one Iā€™ve done so far too. I know which one Iā€™m going for next, but I have a plan to do a pile of other things first, and I feel like that pile never actually decreases, lol.

And I know what you mean. The 3D Zeldas (before BotW) also have several good temples, and I really donā€™t get why they arenā€™t pulling some of that in. It isnā€™t like they havenā€™t done it so many times before. Not every temple in every game have been great, but they have a catalog of so many good ones. Such a waste to not include that in BotW and TotK.

2 Likes

Oh yeah thatā€™s definitely true; I know the working memory strain of trying to hold all of that in your head at once. There are definitely problems when it comes to density. I just think it still makes a substantial difference in where that line is if you can instantly define them.

Iā€™d agree narrative sections tend to be harder. I might have a little more experience reading actual books than you so that helps? But unless a characterā€™s speech is particularly unusual, itā€™s true all the same. Iā€™ve just been flipping around this video of the first 2 hours and there is at least one instance where the native player canā€™t remember the reading so thereā€™s that haha, but Iā€™m not overall feeling like this looks all that hard yet. Maybe Iā€™m good at Japanese now? :wink:

Haha yeah I know that feeling. I think itā€™s been long enough Iā€™m gonna jump back down to the underground soon (I assume youā€™ve at least seen it down thereā€¦), feeling a bit stronger and the one quest of sorts I have did look pretty appealing. Just been wandering a little more to the south so maybe Iā€™ll go southwest next when I get back to the story? Who knows.

I can definitely understand that itā€™s hard to design good dungeon challenges with how much power the player has, especially now that they let you straight up jump through the ceiling. Still, yeah, I believe these devs can make them a little more interesting. I always found rotating the beasts a little annoying so I did actually like this one quite a bit more because I had no issues with it, but it felt like it was primarily about just figuring out where the openings were, plus a few extra little physics bits to manipulate. Fun boss though, fun ability, fun trip up there ā€“ one of the better times Iā€™ve been having with it for sure.

5 Likes

For a while, I had (almost) literally every NPC mention Woodland stables, driving me bonkers with how many different things it wanted me to remember was around there. :joy: (I finally caved and went there to clear some things off, but I want to continue on from there.)

So Iā€™ll be going that direction (northeast). But yeah, Iā€™m going back down into the underground again first and maybe wandering off southeast after that, before I actually go for my second phenomenon. And that is partly because now I have a ton of NPCs talking about that area. I just want them to shut up. xD

(Donā€™t get me wrong, I like that the NPCs are more lively and changing up what theyā€™re saying and pointing out interesting things I want to check out, but it is a bit frustrating when I was traveling northwest that all they wanted to talk about was some place far off to the east. xD)

I suppose if I go where the NPCs are directing me, Iā€™ll just get them talking about somewhere else, so maybe second phenomenon first. :joy: Iā€™ll play it by ear. :joy:

Also, feel free to tell me to shut up whenever. The people I talk to the most in my life donā€™t play Zelda, so I have no one to talk to about it. xD

3 Likes

Oh you actually reminded me, there was something else I wanted to look into and I think thatā€™s the direction I was nudged for it? Iā€™m operating with different names, and donā€™t want to spoil what I was sent in that direction for, but it was given by people around the stable on the way to Rito village. I imagine you mightā€™ve had the same talk. Guess I might head that way first. Itā€™s difficult to discuss a game this open ended.

My exploration has been so patchy and messy with the way the towers let you float off. I feel like I was a little more methodic with BOTW and here itā€™s like, I go somewhere, find the tower, maybe I use that to go to a sky island, then Iā€™m suddenly miles away from where I left off exploring the overworld. I must be missing so much.

Iā€™m glad the NPCs are as active as they are too! Itā€™s making for better Japanese practice. Thereā€™s a certain set of vocab Iā€™m getting a lot of practice with from that and the way the item descriptions are written. Glad I did it this way, and happy that Iā€™ve mostly kept up with cutscenes. It has me really excited to just play random videogames in Japanese from here on.

I know the feeling of wanting to talk about this kind of thing, and Iā€™m enjoying it so you donā€™t have to stop! Any time. I just need people I can do the same about Splatoon with. The new season is about to start with another big update! (hey @rikaiwisdom , Iā€™ll still be here if you ever decide itā€™s time to get that game :wink: )

4 Likes

Yeah as far as books go, Iā€™ve only read like 3 light novels and thatā€™s about it haha. So Iā€™m definitely less experienced there. I always want to read more books but then I end up focusing all my time on VNs instead. All of the VN reading has made dialogue sections a lot easier for me though.

I watched a bit of that and flipped through it too now, it actually doesnā€™t look as hard as I was expecting. Some tricky sentences in there from what I flipped through and it does look harder than what weā€™ve read so far but nothing that would be unmanageable, I think. I was expecting something more complex since it is rated a 7 but it wouldnā€™t surprise me if some parts of the game especially with Morgana in the later half of the VN are more challenging.

4 Likes

To be honest I think that playing TotK in Japanese might have gone a long way in helping me get through the NPC dialogue because it is rough coming off playing Trails to Azure recently where every NPC has unique and interesting things to say to this where all the NPCs have very dull single lines of dialogue. I do really want to dedicate some time to playing a game in Japanese though. Maybe now that I have a Deck to play it on I should really dig into Persona 2ā€¦

4 Likes