(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Monday, August 1, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 質問をしたら寝ていた事がバレ
    しつもんを・したらねていた・ことがバレ
    If I ask / they will know I was / fast asleep!

Notes:

• Thanks to @superelf94 , @Myria, and @Jonapedia, I learned something today. It’s at least uncommon for an implied subject to change between different parts of the same sentence. @Jonapedia makes a good point that this is especially true when the implied subject is a person: exceptions seem to mostly be for obvious inanimate subjects. All of this makes intuitive sense to me now, and might even lessen my confusion going forward (there’s always hope!).

• Apologies, but as always I couldn’t resist tinkering slightly with the translation. I was able to get it down to a 3-5-3 by translating 質問をしたら as “If I ask” without using the word “question.” If the Japanese can imply subjects, it seems only fair that we imply a direct object in the translation!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Corona

1. リモートで 便利な言葉 “聞こえません!”

Dare I say it? “This one seems pretty easy to read and interpret.”

No hints from me today. The volume should provide enough of a hint for the カタカナ().

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level! Questions and comments are as valued as translation submissions.

Please try not to be disappointed if your translation isn’t selected or if you disagree with the daily choice: the judge isn’t terribly consistent with his grading (and has awful taste!).
Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

4 Likes