(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Previous senryu

1. うますぎる話見抜けぬ欲の皮
    うますぎる・はなしみぬけぬ・よくのかわ
    a story / too good to be true / conceals greed

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @Axazel and @Myria
  • TIL what “clever talk is the skin covering hidden desires” means (laugh).
  • The key to understanding this one is the expression 「 (よく)(かわ)()る」 which means “to be greedy” (a new one for me). What an odd way to express that!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Heartfelt (しみじみ編)

1. 「この人と渋茶すすっている不思議」

Again with the easy to read but mysterious meaning! I even guessed the reading of 渋茶(しぶちゃ) correctly (the meaning was obvious).

I’m pretty sure that this one will remain mysterious in English, though. The winner will likely hinge on which specific English word is chosen for 不思議(ふしぎ).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes