(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 忘れぬよう メモした紙を また捜す
    わすれぬよう めもしたかみを またさがす
    Wrote a note, / to not forget, yet / can’t find it

Notes:

• The jury has decided! :confetti_ball: to @superelf94

• I clearly have the sensibilities of an engineer, while you lot appear to have a more poetic nature! :joy: I love that it perfectly captures the spirit, and that it makes a lovely English senryu, but I have to point out a few “engineering” flaws: It introduces the word “wrote,” it drops the word (かみ), it uses “yet” instead of “again” for また, it changes searching to finding (探す vs. 見つかる), and it introduces the negative form of a verb (“can’t”). But I’m not bitter! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

• Using “wrote” for メモした seems a little off the mark to me. Perhaps “jotted” would have been better than any of our choices?

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Husbands

1. 肩は社長お尻は妻に叩かれる

Hints:

• たたかれる【叩かれる】 ローマ字
    ⇒たたく. (To strike, to beat)

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like