(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Previous senryu

1. ドラマでは私住む街左遷の地
    ドラマでは はたしすむまち させんのち
    In a drama / the town I live in / is where they are /put out to pasture

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @Arzar33 for getting it right first and because 4 lines made me grin
  • Daughter confirms @Arzar33 has it exactly right: 左遷の地 is about Japanese companies punishing an employee by demoting and transferring them to a dead-end position in a backwater branch office.
  • Try fitting that in five English syllables!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Heartfelt (しみじみ編)

1. 妻逝って可愛い壺に納まれり

More interesting kanji I needed to look up again today. Even after looking them up, I’m utterly clueless about what this one means! More research required …

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes