(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 工作 シャネルの空き箱 子にもたせ
    こうさく しゃねるのあきばこ こにもたせ
    Crafts project / I give my child / The empty Chanel box

Notes:

• Difficult choice again, but :confetti_ball: goes to @Myria because it leaves the interpretation open to the reader and feels closest to me somehow.

• At least 4 interpretations to this one (up to the reader, I think):

1. Child’s feelings toward the box vs. mother’s toward the contents
    2. Mother regrets giving up the box but loves her child more
    3. Mother wants to show off in front of teacher/other parents
    4. Mother wants child to show off in front of other children

Let me know if I missed any!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Global Truths (世の真理編)

[Note that I’m unsure if “Global truths” is an accurate translation. () might be emphasizing society or the age we live in. Let me know your thoughts]

1. 更にヤな事ありどうでもよくなった

No difficult kanji today. Parsing the grammar is non-trivial, though. I’m looking forward to reading what people think.

Hints:

• The choice of a katakana ヤ was likely intentional and probably implies something, but might just be for counting morae.
  • I think it’s short for 嫌な事 but don’t take that as gospel.

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes