(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Previous senryu

1. オレ粗大ゴミならおまえ危険物
    オレそだい・ゴミならおまえ・きけんぶつ
    If I belong in “oversized trash” / you must be “dangerous goods”!

Notes:

• Congrats to @JazzFuneral :confetti_ball: for realizing that 粗大ゴミ here uses the colloquial meaning of a retired husband who’s become a nuisance around the house (a big lunk always getting in the way).

• I’m going with my own translation this time, though (boooooo!). I was tempted, though, by what @LaVieQ eventually came up with.

• I’m uncomfortable thinking of it as nasty words exchanged during an argument. Instead, I like to imagine a husband making a joke near the marked off areas for the various types of trash.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Intense

208 勤務先電話をすれば夫休み

No hints today, a dictionary should suffice. At least I think I know what’s going on.

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.