(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Friday, May 6, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 終電車どうして俺だけしらふなの
    しゅうでんしゃ・どうしておれだけ・しらふなの
    Last train of the night / Why am I the only one / Who’s not off his face?

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: @Gorbit99 @fallynleaf @valvictorine
  • English 5-7-5 FTW!
  • All submissions were great today, but I had to pick one. That I had three with 5-7-5 was amazing. Remember, though, that accurate, understandable translations are more important than 5-7-5.
  • Really struggled picking a winner. I finally gave @valvictorine the nod because “night” fits better with 終電車(しゅうでんしゃ) and the play with 素面(しらふ) was exquisite. Well done.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Heartfelt

1. 花の名を聞いてケンカの仲なおり

This should be fairly easy to read (no kanji beyond WK level 11). Understanding may require a bit of cultural understanding, though.

Hints:

• You may find it useful to research 花言葉(はなことば).
  • I’m not 100% certain, but I think the () must have a pretty well-known 花言葉 meaning.
  • Which flower do you think was given?
  • Alternately, what do you think caused the fight? :slight_smile:

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here’s the link to the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes