(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Sunday, May 15, 2022

Previous senryu

1. パトカーが付いて来るよと子ははしゃぎ
    パトカーがついてくるよとこははしゃぎ
    Ooo! A police car / is following us!” exclaims / my child, gleefully.

Notes:

Current senryu challenge

Volume: various settings (not ”children”!)

1. 乾杯のグラス持たされ三十分

Hints:

• Another fairly straightforward poem to translate
  • Some people do like to hear themselves give a speech!

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like

TiL that this word has a fascinating history. Obviously, it’s a French word for Dutch footwear that came to Japan via English due to a French railway strike in 1910. Not sure why I didn’t intuit this immediately.

I’d heard the word before but it never dawned on me that “sabotage” and “slipshod” were at all related, much less “ciabatta”!

2 Likes

Translation Attempt

1. 乾杯のグラス持たされ三十分

かんぱいの・グラスもたされ・さんじゅっぷん

Time to do a toast
And then made to hold the glass
For thirty minutes

Honestly, the hardest part was trying for 5-7-5, and it’s almost always impossible to get the English split to mirror the Japanese one.

Although I suppose you do have to know a bit about how drinking culture works in Japan.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why this senryu is in category children according to your post :thinking:.
I think your category is borked ^^

2 Likes

Hello guys! I’ve been checking in to admire all of your hard work for a while. Thought I’d take a stab at this one :sparkles:

cheers! we raise a glass
made to hold it like that for
thirty odd minutes

3 Likes

This was the part that was confusing me most about this one. I was like, “Are they…making toast speeches at some kid’s birthday?..Is a kid giving a long speech?”

1 Like

Whoops. Fixed.

Edited on the road this morning - just a cut-n-pasto.

1 Like

Welcome!

I’m so happy that people seem to be enjoying these as much as I am. :partying_face:

It’s not making it any easier to pick a winner, though, especially with the number that have even accomplished 5-7-5 in English recently!

I’m still going to try to select just a single translation every morning. I think it’s worth it for future readers of the complete list. Maintaining the links to each day’s discussion with all the entries makes me feel better about this decision.

Hopefully, I can just count the likes when there are two excellent submissions like this (so far).

3 Likes

I just had an ad for this app show up, and it immediately reminded me of our 4/30 translation for 雑草の名前わかると抜きにくい!

1 Like

Your link for “this app” takes me to the 4/30 translation… I’m so curious to see what it is you’re talking about! :durtle_hello:

Whoops. Sorry. Now fixed.

Monday, May 16, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 乾杯のグラス持たされ三十分
    かんぱいの・グラスもったされさん・じゅうぷん
    Cheers! we raise a glass / made to hold it like that for / thirty odd minutes

Notes:

• Congrats to @Axazel :confetti_ball: (first win and a 5-7-5). Strong entry from @alo, too.
  • Apologies for goofing the category! I’m still chuckling.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Husbands

1. 帰りぎわとらなきゃよかったこの電話

Harder one today (at least for me). I’m unsure of my own translation. Then again, that’s usually the case!

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes

Okay, I got it! :+1: Now it does sound better and is indeed more ‘husband’ volume than a scary warning :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Here I go again! :sweat_smile:

My understanding is this:

I shouldn’t have picked up the phone which rang just when I was about to leave

I hope I’m onto something this time )

3 Likes

That’s close but slightly different to my understanding (which likely means we are both wrong, of course :laughing: ).

Here’s how I parse it:

帰りぎわ - on the brink of returning home / as I was about to leave

とらなきゃ - equivalent to 取らないといけない = I must pick up

よかったこの - I think this means “(something) I was happy for” here. The の is important.

Future me: No it’s not, you idiot. It’s just the second half of the word この. Somehow my eyes just completely glossed over the こ. You were exactly right: 取らなきゃよかった means “I wish I hadn’t picked up” or, more precisely, “it would have been better if I hadn’t picked up.”

電話 - telephone call (in this case, the “something” above).

So I think it means something like “Fortunately, I received a phone call I had to take just I was about to return home.”

That is, I think the implication is he wasn’t looking forward to returning home.

As usual, I’m probably wrong, however!

1 Like

I feel like now I’ve got to try, even when I have no idea! But that’s the fun part right? Haha

I think that ぎわ here means on the edge… which means “about to”… maybe?! So…

帰りぎわ / とらなきゃよかった / この電話

heading out the door
wishing I hadn’t picked up
that one last phone call

2 Likes

Ah! After posting I saw where @Rrwrex had a slightly different take from me, but the was soothed to find that @Tanya7281 and I are on the same page :sweat_smile:

More than that, we all agree on the first part—which I was most insecure about!

Participating is so much more fun than lurking :caught_durtling: Also surprisingly good exercise for grammer

2 Likes

Yes! This one in particular.

Case in point: I’m pretty confident that よかったの電話 indicates they were pleased to receive the call [Edit: that’s not what’s written! It’s 〜よかったこの電話(でんわ), so I’m sticking with my interpretation unless someone can explain how I’m wrong. I’ve certainly been victim to misplaced confidence before, though!

1 Like

I though the grammar might be 〜なきゃよかった which is casual Japanese for 〜なければよかった ”it would have been good if I hadn’t” which expresses regret .

:pencil2: Edit to add: While I’m fairly confident in this one, I’m often pitifully mistaken when it comes to grammar—so don’t take me too seriously from here on please :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yup, that’s my question precisely.

〜よかったの (or のに) is, I believe, effectively “subjunctive mood”. It expresses a wish or desire for something to be true. お役に立てれば よかったの ですが means “I wish I could help you.”

So my interpretation is that it’s worded よかったの電話 because of the 5-7-5 constraints but basically means 電話あったから、よかった.

But I’m unsure. You’re interpretation also makes sense to me.

1 Like