Curse you Katakana! *Shakes Fist*

For me its チand モ, and ナand メ, especially if it’s a more “creative” font. Oh and I always, always, always mix up ヨ and ユ for some reason.

I think I picked this one up from Tofugu (hat tip) ツ for tsunami, has the tops of the waves driving downward. シ does not. This has helped me countless times to recognized the difference.

1 Like

That wave looks really weird to me mirrored like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds nice, but it doesn’t have any link to tell the shapes apart.

it has. just imagine directions.

first, it gets you twice from the top, ツ
then, it spreads around, シ
the same with voice of ソンg .
and ノthing fills all around.

that’s all here.

1 Like

Hahah okay, guess I am just glad I don’t need these anymore.

Yeah… I actually had to look for a mirrored image to fit with the directionm of tsu.

2 Likes

i could be wrong – and if so, i am hoping @Leebo will swoop in and correct me – but i think those “collisions with kanji” are due to the fact that both hiragana and katakana come about originally as simplified forms of kanji, selected bc they have the same pronunciation. so even in hiragana, い is just a simplified version of 以, for example; or take す, which is the simplified writing of 寸; or せ for 世, も for 毛, etc. a neat one is わ for 和.

maybe it can help to remember the readings for some kanji to see which kana they ended up becoming!

3 Likes

you can take a look at this image, it contains the needed information about kana origins (the image is from wikipedia:kana page), but readings are not always matching… maybe, it was matching in the past.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/FlowRoot3824.svg

for some katakana, it does not seem to be helpful in explaining collisions.
夕 and タ at least cannot be explained.

How about it came from 多? It says so in the chart you linked?

2 Likes

this one - katakana “ta” - it came from 多
but this one - 夕 - “yuu” - it has no relation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.