Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

The United Stated is entering our holiday season (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas), with each holiday pulling a progressively larger number of people away from home and regular schedules, so for those of us in the west of the west, having a little break before starting something new wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I would think putting out nominations (not voting just yet) could build interest toward reaching ng critical mass of potential readers, but I don’t have much experience of this stage of the process.

For me personally, the ABBC books haven’t piqued my interest (although I’d probably join in on Kitty Detectives 2 had I read the first, as I prefer to read a series in order).

They’re stand alone stories so there shouldn’t be any harm in starting with book two. :angel:t3:

2 Likes

Okay, so judging by the poll and responses, I feel that we might take a break and let people read some other books going on right now and future ones too :smile:

So I guess from this point anyone is welcome to make proposals for new books and mangas \o/

Kitty Detectives will be finished by end of January and I guess we have time for now :thinking: When should we start the new book, in 2020 I guess?

3 Likes

Could we vote for the book starting in 2020 so u have time to buy it?

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, Kitty Detectives 2 ends on January 27th, and I guess that would be the best time to start a new book.

I don’t see the need for nominations and a poll and all the rest because (1) there are plenty of old clubs that anyone can still read through at any time (2) I know some people are ready to just get started with their own beginner books when the time is right (I believe @ChristopherFritz has a book up his sleeve) and (3) bookclubs set up without nominations and polls (such as the two Kitty books) have been very successful and save a lot of (what I see as pointless) debate.

But yes, most people like these rounds of nominations and polls (what is it about clicking polls in this forum?) and I’m always outvoted! lol!

2 Likes

Maybe we should have a poll to determine whether or not we need a poll.

8 Likes

LOL! Brilliant! But I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that has already been done before!

Oh, and welcome to the forums @guildofgold! I just noticed that was your first post! Great to have you here!

1 Like

I’ll definitely be interested in reading Doggy Detectives once we’ve finished Kitty Detectives, so I might start a book club for it :grin:

5 Likes

I am down to join in on the next book. I am game for any book!

2 Likes

I created the thread for Story 7 of 10分で読める物語-

3 Likes

Hello everyone! I am back :blush: You might remember me from the なぜ?どうして?reading thread, though I dropped out about half-way through (from the book club and from Wanikani).

As I am waiting for the lifetime holiday sale to revive my subscription, I am catching up on なぜ?どうして? and thinking about the next read to propose. I see all of the books that are currently being read are all stories; I personally prefer little non-fiction pieces. For this reason, and for like-minded folks, I am proposing:

drum roll

なぜ?どうして? 科学のお話2年生 is everything you loved about 世界のふしぎ, only focused more on science and nature rather than social/cultural stuff. We’d learn vocab related to human body, plants and animals, and space!

As for the timeline, I’d suggest we start reading 科学のお話 in January, though we can put it off a bit more if active bookclub members need more time to finish up with the current books/have a break.

So, anyone interested in 科学のお話? :blush:

2 Likes

Nice pick! That book looks great!

And welcome back!!!

Perhaps best to start it after にゃんにゃん (2) finishes at the end of January?

I won’t be able to join in myself as all my efforts next year will be going towards Gundam Aggressor, but I think it is a brilliant choice!

That’s a great suggestion! Tentatively starting in February then.
(I might actually grab にゃんにゃん and join in for Story 2… I really missed bookclubbing! :smile: )

And best of luck for Gundam Aggressor! :muscle:

1 Like

Wow, that’s great! And thank you! :+1: :smiley:

Why not just set up the club yourself rather than wait for someone to set up a round of nominations and all that gubbins? That’s how the current clubs have been established. If people join, great! If not, no worries! (But I’m sure they will!)

1 Like

For sure! Still, if I can maximize the number of people joining by adjusting, say, the starting time, I want to make sure I do that.
After all, the point of bookclub is to read together :wink:

3 Likes

FYI, the edition of the book you’re linking to is OOP. There is a newer edition and the contents may have changed slightly:

3 Likes

Oh, yes, indeed, indeed! And I think starting in February, after the current にゃんにゃん book finishes, is a great idea. What I mean is that if you are going to set up a club for February, then the best time to do it is now! That will give everyone time to order the book!

Anyway, like I say, I’ll be busy reading elsewhere for the next few months, but I wish you all the best if you decide to go with it - it’s a great choice!

2 Likes

Hi Zuzu! I remember you from the first なぜどうして book and I remember you posting someone really useful comments that helped me understand the book. I’d be interested in joining you on another なぜどうして book and the one you’ve picked looks interesting.

I have some BookWalker coins that expire this month so I think I’m going to go ahead and buy the digital version now. The BookWalker link is here. On BookWalker you can only purchase it if you are in Japan (although this was very easy to get round). Once you’ve bought it you can download anywhere.

I can also see digital versions on sites like ebookJapan and Amazon Kindle.

Start of Feb sounds good for a start date, after にゃんにゃん2 finishes.

4 Likes

I completely missed that @zuzu had set up the thread for the next なぜどうして book! Thanks Zuzu!

If anyone else has missed it (I might be the only one as 40 people have clicked on the poll!) here is the link.

EDIT - I’ve added the new book to the opening post.

3 Likes